Emerging from the New England scene, singer/songwriter Frank Viele has been surrounded by music for his whole life, and continues to press the boundaries in the live setting with an incredible band. Performing over 150 shows per year, Viele has put together a road-tested band of jam players, including Jordan Simms (Everyone Orchestra/Juggling Suns), Andrew Cusanelli (On The Spot Trio), Dee Miller (Da Rezerekt/Rowboat Casino) and Max Cappello.Fresh off of winning the 2016 New England Music Awards for “Performer of The Year” and “Album of The Year”, Frank Viele is set to release the video for his fourth single off of his newest album, Fall Your Way. Entitled “Kalifornia,” the video was filmed live at a full band sold out show in New Haven, Connecticut, using footage from fans’ cell phones.“We decided to play a hometown show in New Haven, Connecticut to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the release of my album, Fall Your Way.” says Viele. “The song, “Kalifornia”, off of that record was a personal favorite of the band and had become a fan favorite live as well. So we decided as a group to take a shot and have our fans, for this sold out show, take video on their cell phones and email them to us in the hopes that we could edit them together to make a cool video displaying the overall vibe of this celebration. We were beyond happy with how the footage came out and really excited to say this video was made by our fans and for our fans.”Watch the exciting new video, premiering below exclusively via L4LM:In addition to the new video, Viele has some exciting tour dates up ahead, including a spot at the Dewey Beach Music Festival and a set at Pacific Standard in New Haven, CT. Meanwhile, the band will be working on a new studio effort to follow up Fall Your Way, so keep your eyes out for fresh new Viele grooves!You can see the upcoming tour dates below, and head to the band’s website for details and more information.Tour Dates:9/22/16 – Dewey Beach Music Festival Dewey Beach, DE9/23/16 – Dewey Beach Music Festival Dewey Beach, DE10/28/16 – Pacific Standard (Gov’t Mule Afterparty) New Haven, CT
Men diagnosed with prostate cancer are less likely to die from the disease than from largely preventable conditions such as heart disease, according to a new study from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH). It is the largest study to date that looks at causes of death among men with prostate cancer, and suggests that encouraging healthy lifestyle changes should play an important role in prostate cancer management.“Our results are relevant for several million men living with prostate cancer in the United States,” said first author Mara Epstein, a postdoctoral researcher at HSPH. “We hope this study will encourage physicians to use a prostate cancer diagnosis as a teachable moment to encourage a healthier lifestyle, which could improve the overall health of men with prostate cancer, increasing both the duration and quality of their life.”The study was published July 25, 2012 in the Advance Access online Journal of the National Cancer Institute.Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed form of cancer, affecting one in six men during their lifetime. While incidence of prostate cancer has greatly increased in the United States, Sweden, and other Western countries in recent decades, the likelihood that a newly diagnosed man in these countries will die from the disease has declined. The researchers attribute this to the widespread use of the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test, which has resulted in a higher proportion of men diagnosed with lower-risk forms of the disease. Read Full Story
Denzel Washington Star Files Get ready for a whole lot of August Wilson on the small screen. Oscar and Tony winner Denzel Washington, during a Q&A at University of Southern California, revealed that he will executive produce all ten of the Pulitzer winner’s plays for HBO, Deadline reports.Last month, Viola Davis confirmed that she will star in the screen adaptation of Wilson’s Fences, reprising her Tony-winning role from the 2010 production. Washington, who appeared opposite Davis in the revival and also won a Tony, is set to star in and direct the HBO venture.“I’m really excited that [the estate] would put that in my hands and trust me,” Washington said during the event. “That’s good enough for me. It doesn’t get any better than that.”The premium network would roll out one film a year, Washington said. In addition to Fences, Wilson’s ten-play collection consists of Radio Golf, King Hedley II, Jitney, Two Trains Running, Seven Guitars, The Piano Lesson, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, Joe Turner’s Come and Gone and Gem of the Ocean.Washington won Oscars for his performances in Training Day and Glory, and was last nominated in 2013 for Flight. In addition to Fences, he has appeared on Broadway in Checkmates, Julius Caesar and A Raisin in the Sun. View Comments
By Brad HaireUniversity of GeorgiaJapanese climbing fern climbs plants and chokes them. Cogongrass forms a toxic mat. And they’re just two of many foreign plant invaders that threaten Georgia’s forests and natural areas.Cogongrass grows thick foliage about 4 feet high, said Chris Evans, an invasive species and natural resource specialist with the University of Georgia Bugwood Network.The Bugwood Network is a Web-based system used to collect, promote and distribute educational materials in entomology, forestry and natural resources. Forming thick clumps and releasing toxins that smother all other plants, cogongrass can hurt natural wildlife and forestry production. “It’s considered one of the worst weeds in the world,” Evans said.It’s already infested several southwest Georgia counties, including a 20-acre site in Mitchell County. It has caused major problems for some pastures and forests in Mississippi and Florida. “We want to find and suppress it before it becomes a problem in Georgia,” he said.The light fluffy seeds of cogongrass are easily carried by wind. They also catch rides on vehicles. As a result, the plant fills many roadside ditches in Mississippi, he said.A native of southeast Asia, it was introduced into the Gulf states early last century as packing for cargo shipments. Others later tried it for livestock forage and erosion control.Japanese climbing fern grows quickly over small trees and shrubs, shades them out and kills them, Evans said. It grows up taller trees, too, where it becomes an easy path for fire to reach treetops.”Just in the past year,” he said, “we’re seeing more of it in pine stands in Georgia and natural areas.”The Asian and Australian native has made it hard for some south Georgia pine straw farmers to rake their straw, which they bundle and sell as landscape mulch, he said. Alabama and Florida officials regulate pine straw that enters their states for this fern.The plant was introduced into the United States in the 1930s as an ornamental. It grows as fast as kudzu. If left unchecked, kudzu can quickly take over a local area. But the Japanese climbing fern can spread faster over greater distances, he said.It takes time for some invasive species to become problems, he said. A population may be slow to establish. But once it does, it can explode.Invasive plant species like the Japanese climbing fern and cogongrass may have been introduced decades ago, Evans said, but they could now have the foothold they need to cause ecological and economic damage.Exotic invasive plants are found in almost every state. Georgia has about 20 major ones, he said.Many people think some common plants in Georgia are native species, he said, but they’re exotic and potentially invasive plants.Privet, for instance, is a small bush usually found growing under trees. It has white flowers and purple berries and can outcompete native shrubs.Wisteria is a popular landscape plant that sometimes escapes to become wild and unchecked in wooded areas. Its showy purple blooms can be seen growing on trees along some Georgia roadways in spring.The Georgia Exotic Pest Plant Council and the Bugwood Network are sponsoring the Invasive Plant Control Workshop April 13 at the UGA Rural Development Center in Tifton, Ga.Participants will learn how to identify exotic, invasive plant species, find out what measures are being taken to control them and how they can help. For more information, call (229) 386-3416. Or go to the Web site (www.ugatiftonconference.org).
QPR defender Tal Ben Haim has joined Major League Soccer franchise Toronto FC on a short-term loan deal. Nelsen has already returned once to Rangers since his move to the MLS club, signing winger Hogan Ephraim on a loan deal. The experience Ben Haim will take to the MLS, after spells with the likes of Bolton, Chelsea and Manchester City, will provide invaluable, according to Toronto FC president Kevin Payne. “Tal Ben Haim has been one of the top defenders in the Premier League for nearly a decade,” he told the club’s official website. “He captains his national team and Ryan thinks the world of him. He’s exactly the sort of veteran defender we need.” Press Association Ben Haim, 31, was signed by Rangers boss Harry Redknapp in the January transfer window but has made just seven appearances since as the R’s slipped out of the Barclays Premier League. Toronto are managed by former Loftus Road favourite Ryan Nelsen and Israel international Ben Haim will remain on loan at the club until the end of June.
Uzoho’s fellow Super Eagles shot-stopper Daniel Akpeyi has himself fallen in and out of contention at Absa Premiership club Kaizer Chiefs, but despite admitting his goalkeeping concerns, Rohr is not about to call-up another goalkeeper.“We have a little challenge because our young goalkeeper Uzoho has not really played at his club this season,” Rohr told BBC Sport.“Uzoho made one mistake in the last qualifier (against Seychelles) but we gave him a chance with the youth under-23 and it was good for his confidence.“Daniel Akpeyi is playing now for a big team in South Africa and doing very well. Our third goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa too is good so we can work harder with them.“We have a good spirit as a team since the World Cup, so there’s no time to bring in new players,” Rohr concluded.Nigeria makes a return to the Africa Cup of Nations this year, having missed the last two tournaments.Meanwhile, Zimbabwe is in the process of negotiating friendly with the Super Eagles and the Bafana Bafana of South Africa in their build up to the continental show piece.Zimbabwe FA President Felton Kamambo, in an interview with Herald Newspapers sad plans for a warm-up game against Bafana Bafana are at an advanced stage, while they are also angling for another match against Nigeria.The date for the match against Bafana Bafana has already been set for May 26, while engagements with Nigeria are yet to reveal anything.Kamambo also said they are also courting a third team to play before they head to Egypt for the tournament, which runs from June 21 to July 19.“We are serious in our preparations for the Afcon tournament and we have quite a number of plans in place, some that I cannot talk about at the moment because of contractual agreements that first have to be met before going public,” Kamambo told The Herald.“In terms of serious friendly matches, we actually have one against South Africa that we hope will come to fruition because plans are at an advanced stage.“This is part of a joint send-off ceremony that we hope to have together with the South Africa national team that is also going to Afcon finals.“A friendly match between the two teams will be played on the 26th of May the next day after the send-off ceremony slated for the 25th. We intend to have the friendly match here, but it is yet to be finalised.“We will also go to Nigeria where we intend to play a game in Nigeria, but that is yet to be confirmed. We are still working on contractual agreements.“I think we will play three serious friendly matches that will afford the coaches a chance to fine tune their squad ahead of the tournament.”Zimbabwe are seeking to reach the AFCON knockout stage for the first time at this year’s continental showpiece.To reach that goal the Warriors will first have to navigate Group A, in which they face hosts Egypt, DR Congo and Uganda.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Femi Solaja with reportEven as pressure continues to mount on Super Eagles Head Coach, Gernot Rohr to have a rethink on his number one choice goalkeeper for Nigeria to the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt this summer, the Franco-German tactician has ruled out a change in his approach heading into the tournament.The three-time African champions have struggled to fill the void created by the shock retirement of the country’s most capped player, goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama in 2015, and the exit of replacement Carl Ikeme due to leukemia.Stakeholders in the country’s football have however expressed reservations over the ‘average’ performance of Uzoho at the last World Cup finals in Russia and have called on the coach to look into direction of other goalkeepers around the world but the German mentor has backed his goalkeeping trio to keep their places in the squad for continental showpiece. Super Eagles Coach, Gernot Rohr