Beijing said on Monday it will impose visa restrictions on US individuals with “egregious conduct” on Hong Kong-related issues, mirroring US sanctions against unnamed Chinese officials deemed responsible for curbing freedoms in the city.The announcement comes as the top decision-making body of China’s parliament deliberates a draft national security law for Hong Kong that pro-democracy activists in the city fear will be used to eliminate dissent and tighten Beijing’s control.Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian, who announced the new sanctions during a press briefing in response to a question about Washington’s new visa restrictions, did not specify which US individuals have been targeted. Topics : “The US is attempting to obstruct China’s legislation for safeguarding national security in the HK SAR (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) by imposing the so-called sanctions, but it will never succeed,” he told reporters.”In response … China has decided to impose visa restrictions on US individuals with egregious conduct on HK related issues.”US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said last week that the new visa restrictions by Washington apply to “current and former” officials of China’s ruling Communist Party “believed to be responsible for, or complicit in, undermining Hong Kong’s high degree of autonomy.”The US Senate also approved a bill last week that would impose mandatory sanctions on people or companies that back efforts to restrict Hong Kong’s autonomy. It includes secondary sanctions on banks that do business with anyone backing any crackdown on the territory’s autonomy.Zhao, the foreign ministry spokesman, told reporters that China has lodged a complaint with the US over the bill and warned that Beijing will respond with strong countermeasures in response to US actions on Hong Kong.
–By: Nathan Quao/citinewsroom.com/Ghana Black Meteors winger Yaw Yeboah says he is driven by the target of sending Ghana to the Olympic football tournament in Japan in 2020.Yeboah is part of the team that coach Ibrahim Tanko has called up for Saturday’s second round first leg U-23 AFCON qualifier against Gabon in Accra.The team has been in camp for some days getting ready for the match and Yeboah told Citi Sports on Wednesday that he and his team mates were encouraged by the fact that they had the chance of sending the nation to an Olympic football tournament for the first time since 2004 in Greece.“I think we are more motivated than pressured when we talk about going to the Olympic football tournament. It is our main target.We have not been there for 14 or so years. For us, the only thing is to do our work and get there and the rest will follow. That is our plan in terms of qualifiers.”The Numancia winger added that he was pleased with the preparations of the team and he was very delighted with what he had witnessed so far in the team’s camp.“We are getting ready and the preparations are going well. I like the attitude and mentality of my colleagues and I think we have a good and confident team.”Victory for Ghana over Gabon will set them up with the winner of the tie between Algeria and Equatorial Guinea in the third round.
APTN National NewsA new initiative is in the works to provide better policing services in Aboriginal communities across Canada’s northern territories.APTN National News reporter Curtis Mandeville has more on this story.
Ghaizabad: With the arrest of eight criminals, the Ghaziabad police have busted two auto robbers gang who used to rob passengers during the ride.Police said that the arrest was made from two police station areas while the five of arrested accused who were nabbed by a police team of Vijay Nagar police station were arrested after a gun battle with criminals on late Monday night. According to police, the five accused nabbed by Vijay Nagar police were identified as Bahadur, Raj Kumar, Sandeep, Pawan and Karan. Cops said that Pawan lived in Bisrakh area of Greater Noida while the other accused hailed from different areas in Ghaziabad. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderPolice said that these five accused were arrested by Vijay Nagar police following a gun battle near TNT round about on late Monday night. Police recovered three country made pistols along with few cases of live ammunition, a few jewellers and cash worth Rs 4600 from the possession of accused persons. Shlok Kumar, SP City, Ghaziabad said that the criminals were arrested by Vijaynagar police team also robbed a dentist on March 12. “The criminals have robbed a lady dentist after she boarded their auto. The two accused Pawan and Sandeep had withdrawal the money with ATM card of dentist lady, while the CCTV installed in ATM captured their face, and police were looking for them. The gang was being run by another Pawan who is absconding since the incident and police teams are conducting search to nab him,” said Kumar. The officer further said that the gang of auto robbers also robbed a female Delhi University student in Indirapuram area of Ghaziabad. Cops said that those arrested by Indirapuram police were identified as Kasim, Salman and Sarwar, all native of different area in Ghaziabad.
Red terror struck Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district just 36 hours prior to the first phase of Lok Sabha election with five killed in a roadside bomb – an Improvised Explosive Device planted by suspected Maoist rebels. Amongst the casualties was Bhima Mandvi, BJP MLA, who was heading to a locality in the Maoist hinterland despite being advised against following an intelligence input regarding a possible Maoist attack. Bhima’s convoy was ambushed as the bomb reduced his car to scrap. A group of 20-25 Maoists opened fire on the convoy with security forces accompanying Bhima in another vehicle engaged in crossfire for at least half an hour before the Maoists retreated. The incident generated panic in the Bastar region as Maoists had outlined their call for boycotting the upcoming polls a few days ago, threatening people with adverse consequences if they exercise voting. The incident, an ambush in the Red zone against the establishment, stirred memories of a similar instance back in May 2013 where 27 people were killed including former Union Minister VC Shukla and Senior Congress leader Mahendra Karma by the Maoists in Bastar ahead of the state assembly polls. The Maoist attack on Tuesday, however, does not come as a surprise following similar Red terror strikes that have shaken up the state terrorising the locals. Maoists, historically, have struck security forces in big numbers during polling months. Be it the single biggest attack against security forces in Tadmetla, Dantewada, back in April 2010, where 76 CRPF soldiers were killed in an ambush laid by nearly 1000 Naxals on hilltops or Darbha valley, again Dantewada, May 2013, where 28 people including top Congress leadership taken down, the Ultra-Left cadre has left the establishment distraught with their recurring efforts to seize power in the region. Bhima Mandvi’s convoy ambush is the 39th Maoist insurgency incident in the country this year coming days after suspected Maoist rebels – perpetrators of a decades-long war against the expropriation of their resources – executed five paramilitary personnel in two separate attacks in the state. These rebels have asked the locals to boycott the upcoming polls, not just in Chhattisgarh but the entire Red corridor. In an unexpected incidence, these Ultra-Left rebels extended support to Kashmiri separatists and militants who have a similar – struggle against the state – cause, calling a boycott of the Lok Sabha election. CPI(Maoist) circulated a 2-page press release on WhatsApp, urging villagers to boycott the polls and support them in establishing a People’s Council and spreading their aim to create a state within a state in the “liberated zone” entirely controlled by Maoists. The Maoist menace with their anti-establishment stance has, however, failed to influence the polling schedule. The Bastar constituency, where Dantiwada is located, will vote today in the first phase of the LS polls as planned. Also Read – A compounding difficultyWith Maoist insurgency rendering an ugly situation in the Red Corridor over the years irrespective of UPA or NDA terms, the situation has ceased to improve. The contentious issue of insurgency in the Red Corridor prima facie appears to be a prolonged internal conflict between the establishment and the insurgents. However, BJP and Congress quarrelling over each other’s alleged collusion with the insurgents gives the internal conflict an ever bitter taste. Expectedly, a blame game ignited between the ruling Congress and BJP over Mandvi’s death with the BJP leaders alleging a conspiracy by Congress. Congress retaliated how Maoist control has proliferated from three to 13 districts in the state over the last 15 years owing to faulty BJP policies under ex-CM Raman Singh. A divided establishment only fuels the ambitions of the insurgents which is why years of counter-insurgency operations have only produced grievous outcomes. Civilians, security personnel, and insurgents, all have perished due to this uncontained Red Terror which often registers a spike during polling periods. It is certain that the election period is a most-ripe time for the Maoist rebels to highlight their objective and capability both through their violent engagements. The state and the Central governments have so far failed to appropriately tackle this internal crisis and one cannot help but notice the pattern forming of Maoist attacks coinciding with polling seasons. Mandvi’s death and the general insurgency by Maoists draws a sharp contrast to India’s recent achievement in strengthening national security with the BJP reiterating how India will bow down to no one when it comes to its integrity and national security. The national security narrative that BJP offers to everyone may be reduced to empty rhetoric in the face of Red terror which has plagued the country for a long time now. If the Modi dispensation strengthened India’s defence then the prevailing misery of insurgency returns an ironical slap on the nation’s stance over its integrity. We cannot boast of subduing threats and showcasing defence and space prowess when we have failed to combat insurgency for decades. The only way to remedy this is by establishing a comprehensive plan to eradicate Red Terror from the roots.
Dallas: Powerful storms that rolled across the South on Saturday spawned at least two suspected tornadoes, damaged homes and killed two children in Texas, authorities said. The Angelina County Sheriff’s Office said an 8-year-old and a 3-year-old died when strong winds toppled a tree onto the back of their family’s car in Lufkin while it was in motion. Capt. Alton Lenderman said the parents, who were in the front seats, were not injured. Lufkin is about 115 miles (185 kilometers) northeast of Houston. Additional information was not immediately available. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USIn Central Texas, Robertson County Sheriff Gerald Yezak told The Associated Press a tornado hit the small city of Franklin, overturning mobile homes and damaging other residences. Franklin is located about 125 miles (200 kilometers) south of Dallas. The National Weather Service said preliminary information showed an EF-3 tornado touched down with winds of 140 mph (225.3 kph). Crews will continue to survey the damage over the next few days. Two people were hospitalized for injuries not thought to be life-threatening, while others were treated at the scene for minor injuries, Yezak said. Some people had to be extricated from their homes. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsWeather service meteorologist Monique Sellers said they’ve received reports of downed trees, as well as damage to buildings and a transmission tower. The storms are part of a large system moving through the southern United States, knocking out power to thousands and causing some flash flooding. The weather service said the system is expected to shift to the Ohio Valley and the Southeast on Sunday. More than 140,000 customers remained without power in Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas late Saturday. Meteorologist John Moore said a possible twister touched down Saturday in the Vicksburg, Mississippi, area. No injuries have been reported, but officials said several businesses and vehicles were damaged. Trees were down throughout the hilly city on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi. Heavy rains and storms continued to rake the Magnolia State into the night, with Mississippi State University’s 21,000 students huddling in basements and hallways as a tornado came near the school’s campus in Starkville. University spokesman Sid Salter said some debris, possibly carried by the tornado, was found on campus, but no injuries were reported and no buildings were damaged. Trees were down and at least some minor structural damage was reported in residential areas east of the campus. Winds of up to 60 mph (96.56 kph) were reported in Cherokee County, Texas, damaging two homes in Alto but not injuring anyone. Alto is situated about 140 miles (225 kilometers) north of Houston.
New Delhi: Total income during the March quarter of 2018-19 grew to Rs 4,602.86 crore from Rs 4,259.37 crore in the year-ago period, the Allahabad Bank said in a regulatory filing. However, the bank Friday reported widening of net loss to Rs 3,834.07 crore during the fourth quarter of 2018-19 financial year due to mounting bad loans. The public sector lender’s net loss in the year-ago period stood at Rs 3,509.63 crore. For entire 2018-19 financial year, the bank’s net loss expanded to Rs 8,457.38 crore from Rs 4,574.22 crore in the previous year. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: IcraTotal income during the last fiscal was down at Rs 18,806.38 crore as against Rs 19,487.51 crore a year ago. The bank’s gross non-performing assets (NPAs) shot up to 17.55 per cent of gross advances by March 2019 from 15.96 per cent by March 2018. Net NPAs, however, were down at 5.22 per cent from 8.04 per cent. In value terms, gross NPAs stood at Rs 28,704.78 crore by end of the last fiscal as against Rs 26,562.79 crore by 2017-18. Net bad loans were worth Rs 7,419.31 crore as compared to Rs 12,229.13 crore earlier. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 daysThe amount set aside for NPA provision was higher at Rs 5,278.88 crore during the latest quarter as compared to Rs 5,126 crore in the year-ago period. “During 2018-19, 322 fraud cases were reported involving a total amount of Rs 70.54 crore. Of these accounts, the bank has recovered a total amount of Rs 13.68 crore and has written back provision of Rs 8.53 crore during the quarter,” the lender said. On divergence in asset classification and provision for NPAs in compliance with the Risk Assessment Report (RAR) of RBI, Allahabad Bank said there was divergence of Rs 1,128.70 crore in gross NPAs and Rs 709.20 crore with regard to net NPAs. The divergence in provisioning was Rs 1,022.40 crore. Non performing loan provision coverage ratio of the bank is 79.85 per cent. The bank’s MD and CEO SS Mallikarjuna Rao expressed confidence that overall 2019-2020 would be good and the bank would record profit from June quarter onwards. “If you look at our performance, net NPA has been brought down to 5.22 percent. Similarly gross NPA quarter-on -quarter basis has come down marginally. The provision coverage ratio has gone up to 79.8 percent. On outstanding basis, there was a growth of around 2.5 percent in credit. However, our average credit growth was almost 10 percent, which is very impressive,” Rao said. He further added: “In this quarter, we are expecting Bhushan Power, Bhushan Energy, Alok Industries and Mandhana Industries — 4-5 accounts where we are expecting anything around Rs 2,200 crore to be realised before June 30. That should be a good reduction and we will also get a right back of around Rs 150 crore.”
Salem (TN): Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami Monday said his government was committed to the release of seven Rajiv Gandhi assassination case convicts and expressed hope the state Governor will act on the cabinet recommendation for setting them free. Palaniwami’s statement comes amidst renewed calls, both from the opposition and Tamil groups, for the release of the seven, serving life terms, after the Supreme Court recently disposed of a plea of the kin of those killed along with the former Prime Minister in 1991 opposing their release. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroad The kin had challenged the Tamil Nadu government’s earlier decision in 2014 to release the seven convicts. In September 2018, the state cabinet had adopted a resolution recommending to Governor Banwarilal Purohit the release of the seven. Speaking to reporters here, Palaniwami said the cabinet resolution was passed in line with public sentiment. “We wanted the seven to be released and that is why adopted a cabinet resolution and sent it to the Governor. The Governor has to decide (on the matter),” he said. Also Read – Firms staying closed 10 days a month due to recession, govt doing nothing: Priyanka Gandhi “We took the decision based on public sentiment, adopted a cabinet resolution and sent it to Governor. We hope he will take action,” he added. On September 9, 2018 the AIADMK government recommended to Purohit the release of all seven convicts — Murugan, Santhan, Perarivalan, Jayakumar, Ravichandran, Robert Payas and Nalini. Former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated by a LTTE suicide bomber during an election rally at Sriperumpudur near here on May 21, 1991.
Borussia Monchengladbach defender Jannik Vestergaard appears set to join Southampton after a £18m fee was agreed on between the clubs, reports Sky SportsThe Denmark international will partake in a medical examination later this week ahead of his move to the Premier League this summer.The transfer to Southampton will mark the first time that Vestergaard has played outside of Germany after previous stints with Werder Bremen and Hoffenheim.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…The 25-year-old will becomes Mark Hughes’ third signing of the summer transfer window with the Saints’ boss having already acquired Mohamed Elyounoussi and Stuart Armstrong from Swiss side FC Basel and SPL champions Celtic respectively.Southampton will undoubtedly hope that the arrival of Vestergaard will strengthen their defensive options for next term after narrowly avoiding relegation from the Premier League last season.Vestergaard may get his first taste of English football on August 12, when Southampton host Burnley at St Mary’s for their opening league game of the season.