Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York An Oyster Bay man was convicted Friday of driving drunk, causing a crash that killed a 59-year-old Hempstead man, fleeing the scene and trying to cover it up by having an accomplice set fire to his car.A Nassau County jury found Madi Grant guilty of second-degree manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter, leaving the scene of an incident without reporting, driving while ability impaired by the combined influence of alcohol and drugs, driving without a license, arson and conspiracy.“This cowardly defendant was drunk and high when he crashed into an innocent driver… and left him to die as he fled the scene attempting to hide his crime,” Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas said.Prosecutors said the 35-year-old was driving home in a borrowed rental car after drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana at a strip club in Queens when he rear-ended a car driven by Sherman Richardson, an ironworker on his way to work at 5:30 a.m. on Dec. 5, 2014.Richardson’s car veered off the road and into a tree. He was pronounced dead at the scene.Grant fled the scene, but a Good Samaritan followed him, authorities said. Grant lost the Good Samaritan by blowing red lights and stop signs in Amityville, according to investigators.The Good Samaritan called 911 and provided a description of Grant’s car, which Grant hired someone to set on fire to destroy the evidence, prosecutors said. The car was later found near the scene of the crash.Judge Robert McDonald will sentence Grant to up to 15 years in prison on April 14.
Tony Schiffmann and his daughter Brooke at the Clayfield home that has sold for $4.15m. Image: AAP/Josh Woning.Mr Schiffmann, who was selling to downsize, told The Courier-Mail location and natural light had been important factors when he first bought the Clayfield home. “The key driver was actually around convenience which still applies today,” he said. “At that stage our daughters were younger so we moved in there for schools.“They went to Clayfield College, which was up the road.“Also I suppose work wise it was convenient to the city for myself and also my job involves travel so it was close to the airport.’’ Tony Schiffmann and his daughter Brooke at the Clayfield home that has just sold for $4.15m. Image: AAP/Josh Woning.A HAMPTONS style home in one of Brisbane’s most prestigious streets has sold for $4.15 million in another sign of strength in the market at the top end of town.The big family home at 175 Adelaide St East, Clayfield, sold after auction to a young, local family who fought off six other bidders to make an offer the vendor couldn’t refuse.The property’s previous owner, BDO managing partner Tony Schiffmann, has pocketed more than double what he paid for it 14 years ago, with property records revealing the home last sold for $1.8 million in 2003. This home at 175 Adelaide St East, Clayfield, sold after auction to a Brisbane family.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus23 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market23 hours agoMr Ferguson said he was personally seeing a lot of local buyers upgrading to the Ascot/Hamilton/Clayfield area. “They’re moving up after making money out of the homes they’re in, which drives the next level,” he said. And he believed there was still growth to come in the city’s prestige market, although the top of the cycle wasn’t far off. GET THE LATEST REAL ESTATE NEWS DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX HERE This home at 175 Adelaide St East, Clayfield, has sold for $4.15m.It’s been a big year so far for Brisbane’s prestige property market, with agents reporting increased interest from local buyers, expats and investors from southern states.Dwight Ferguson of Ray White Ascot, who negotiated the sale of 175 Adelaide St East with Damon Warat, said he still had a number of high-end homes due to hit the market in the lead-up to Christmas. CLEARANCE RATE HITS SPRING HIGH ART DECO APARTMENT BLOCK FOR SALE TECH BEHIND BITCOIN IS THE FUTURE The deck at the home at 175 Adelaide St East, Clayfield.The home has multiple living, dining and entertainment areas, five bedrooms, four bathrooms, two powder rooms, a media room, a tennis court and swimming pool — all on a large 1179 sqm allotment.It’s also close to the popular Racecourse Road restaurant precinct and major shopping centres.The top sale in the street to date is $5.8 million for 165 Adelaide St East in 2010, followed by $4.35 million for 123 Adelaide St East in 2004.It comes as another home fetched more than $4 million at the weekend.The riverfront property at 29 Laidlaw Parade in East Brisbane sold for $4.125m to a local family.
The bedroom opens up to the elements. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus23 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market23 hours agoThe home has two-acre lake. With so much privacy, why not have an outdoor bath or shower? The Asian-inspired property took 10 years to mature.The Sydney-based owner wanted “a retreat style oasis where one could escape the city humdrum”, according to the listing by agents Linda Shore-Perez and David A. Perez of Villa Prestige Properties – Noosa Heads.“Designed by Phillip O’Malley with strict guidelines, the garden had to be low maintenance due to the commuting back and forth from Sydney. This he delivered upon. Now that the hard work has been done, it takes very little care to keep the property looking beautifully manicured.” 317 Dath Henderson Road, Tinbeerwah, Qld 4563IT has just two bedrooms but this Asian-inspired home in the Noosa Hinterland is worth every dollar of the $1.82m it has just sold for because of its gardens.The Amanpuri “Place of Peace” Estate at 317 Dath Henderson Road, Tinbeerwah, was a decade-long labour of love for the sellers.The entire property which has two bathrooms and eight parking spots centres on the Asian-inspired garden. The owners made good use of marble.undefined The owner wanted a getaway that would be low maintenance.The estate covers 20 acres with low maintenance, level gardens. It also has a two acre lake. The original cottage was rebuilt last year and its large bedroom ensures you can really get back to nature with a private deck that comes complete with outdoor bath and shower. Items like this large figurehead are dotted through the gardens. The folded back glass doors frame the garden like a painting. 317 Dath Henderson Road, Tinbeerwah, Qld 4563
Share 191 Views 4 comments Share Share Tweet LocalNews Dominica did not sign communiqué to expel USAID – Ambassador Henderson by: – June 25, 2012 Sharing is caring! Dominica’s Ambassador to the United Nations, Vince HendersonDominica’s Ambassador to the United Nations, Vince Henderson has denied that Dominica signed unto a communiqué with ALBA calling for the immediate withdrawal of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) from member countries of the alliance.The ALBA communiqué was published in the Cuban newspaper Granma as well as Aletho News website.The communiqué indicated that USAID participates in “open interference” in the internal politics of the ALBA countries, under the excuse of “planning and administering economic and humanitarian assistance for the whole world outside of the United States,” financing non-governmental organizations and actions and projects designed to destabilize the legitimate governments which do not share their common interests.It said the foreign ministers of ALBA met in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on June 21 and resolved to immediately expel USAID and its delegates or representatives from their countries, due to the fact that they consider their presence and actions to constitute an interference which threatens the sovereignty and stability of our nations.It listed the governments of Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Dominica, Nicaragua and Venezuela as having signed the resolution.However Dominica’s Ambassador to the United Nations Vince Henderson who formed part of the Rio de Janeiro delegation told the Next Level radio program on Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 that Dominica did not sign the document.“I was responsible for coordinating the meetings of the delegation and the prime minister informed me that we should not mention anything about the situation and we shouldn’t sign unto anything like that,” he said.Henderson also noted that the way in which ALBA operates may have to be “looked into”.Meanwhile, ALBA Coordinator and Ambassador to Venezuela, Dr. Philbert Aaron who did not attend the meeting said he did not have anything to add to what Ambassador Henderson said. Dominica Vibes News
Pellegrini is aware of this, and knows the rewards are worth waiting for from a player who scored five against Newcastle in a stunning performance in October and plundered 31 goals from 42 appearances last season. The City manager said: “As we know with Sergio, always when he comes back from an injury he needs three or four games to return to his normal performance. “That’s why I never give him 90 minutes in a game. I think it’s better to play him for less minutes but with more intensity. “But I am sure in the second part of the season we are going to see the real Sergio without injuries.” Asked when Aguero might be ready to play a full game, Pellegrini said: “I hope on Saturday and he scores two or three goals.” City travel to Watford on Saturday looking for their first away win in seven. City’s other senior striker Wilfried Bony has struggled to impose himself in Aguero’s absences – which also include a spell out in autumn with a hamstring injury – and has been criticised by fans. But the Ivorian, who has also been hampered by injuries and a bout of malaria since his £28million move from Swansea last January, is determined to turn the situation around. Bony said: “Obviously I’ve had problems with injuries and I was ill, but this is football. For five years I haven’t been in this position, but sometimes you can’t control what’s happening. I just try to do my best every game. My hopes for 2016 are to be fit for the whole season and to win a trophy for City.” Bony has scored in four of his last seven appearances, and has eight for the campaign, but has also spurned a host of other chances. The 27-year-old said: “Scoring goals is most important for getting the confidence back. I know what I can do. Your first enemy is yourself so I just think about doing better and trying very hard to do my best in every game.” Press Association Manuel Pellegrini is convinced star striker Sergio Aguero will soon be firing for Manchester City. Aguero has produced two largely ineffectual performances for City since returning from a heel injury. But this is not surprising, with history suggesting it often takes the Argentinian a number of games to get back up to full speed following a lay-off.