India’s Andhra Pradesh state government readies 10GW tender for new solar capacity

first_imgIndia’s Andhra Pradesh state government readies 10GW tender for new solar capacity FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Mint:In a surprise move, the Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy-led Andhra Pradesh government is expediting efforts to float India’s largest solar tender for setting up 10 gigawatt (GW) capacity, said three people aware of the development.Interestingly, the mega tender accounting for 14% of India’s green energy capacity to supply electricity to the farmers is in the works, even as 5.2 GW of solar and wind energy projects are hanging fire, due to the state government’s decision to reopen renewable energy contracts inked under the previous N Chandrababu Naidu government.State energy secretary N. Srikanth confirmed the mega solar tender development and said that Andhra Pradesh Green Energy Corporation Ltd (APGECL) is the nodal agency for the same.This proposed mega contract also comes at a time, when India’ solar power tariffs have touched a record low of ₹2.36 per unit at an auction conducted by state-run Solar Energy Corporation of India Ltd. Falling clean power tariffs putting an already awarded 16.8 GW solar and wind energy capacity in limbo, as fund starved state electricity distribution companies (discoms) are unwilling to sign contracts for these previously awarded projects at a comparatively higher tariff, Mint reported earlier. Also, the Punjab government is seeking to renegotiate clean energy contracts for operational projects.Andhra Pradesh has around 7.7 GW of solar and wind projects and is home to India’s second-largest installed capacity of clean energy, accounting for around 10% of the country’s green energy capacity, with investments of ₹60,000 crore. The state has 4,092 MW of installed wind power projects awarded through feed-in tariffs. Also, the resource-rich state has 3,230 MW of solar power projects awarded through competitive bidding.Clean energy projects comprise more than a fifth of India’s installed power generation capacity. India has 34.6 GW of solar power and seeks to produce 100 GW from solar projects by March 2022.[Utpal Bhaskar]More: Andhra Pradesh to float India’ largest solar tender for 10 GW capacitylast_img read more

Skeletal Remains Found in Basement of Southold Home

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Suffolk County police found skeletal remains Monday buried under the basement of a Southold home while investigating the case of a 38-year-old woman who was reported missing 51 years ago, authorities said.Homicide Squad detectives and Southold town police used ground-penetrating sonar to narrow down where to dig in the basement of a Lower Road home, where the remains were found shortly before noon, police said.Investigators suspect the remains to be that of Louise Pietrewicz, of Cutchogue, who’s boyfriend owned the home at the time of her disappearance in October 1966. The remains were taken to the Suffolk County Medical Examiner’s office to determine the identity and cause of death.The boyfriend, former Southold Police Officer William Boken, died in the 1980s, according to police and reports. The current homeowner, who investigators said has no involvement in the case, consented to the search, authorities added.Police noted that the search was a follow-up to a 2013 dig in the basement of the home that turned up no results.The discovery came after Suffolk Times, a community weekly newspaper covering the North Fork, published an in-depth report on the case last year.last_img read more

Government expands KIP financial assistance for university students

first_imgThe KIP Kuliah program is primarily meant for low-income students who have performed well academically.Last month, Minister of Education and Culture Nadiem Makarim issued a ministerial regulation introducing measures to help higher education students during the COVID-19 pandemic, including by reducing university tuition fees.Under the policy, university students who are on leave or who are not taking any course credits no longer need to pay tuition fees. Those who are in their final semester of study and are taking fewer than six course credits will only pay only half of normal tuition.While experts applauded the move, some expressed concern that only small portion of the national education budget was allocated to private universities.Topics : “The government will also provide support for private universities through the KIP scheme by giving financial assistance to 410,000 students in the third, fifth and seventh semesters of college,” Angkie Yudistia wrote.Read also: COVID-19 education funds leave much to be desiredShe said 60 percent of the program’s funds would be allocated to private university students and 40 percent to state university students.“The government will make sure every state university reduces its tuition fees or sets a new tuition fee plan so that educational fees will be no longer be a burden for students,” Angkie said.  Government announced on Wednesday that it would expand its Indonesia Smart Card (KIP) program to provide financial assistance to more university students in need.In a statement released on Wednesday, presidential staffer Angkie Yudistia announced that the new KIP Kuliah program, which was initially only intended for incoming freshmen, would be expanded to students in the third, fifth and seventh semesters of university.Under the program, university students will receive Rp 2.4 million (US$166.5) in grants for university tuition, while students enrolled in vocational colleges will receive Rp 800,000 per semester.last_img read more

Rohr Insists on Uzoho Between the Sticks for Eagles

first_imgUzoho’s fellow Super Eagles shot-stopper Daniel Akpeyi has himself fallen in and out of contention at Absa Premiership club Kaizer Chiefs, but despite admitting his goalkeeping concerns, Rohr is not about to call-up another goalkeeper.“We have a little challenge because our young goalkeeper Uzoho has not really played at his club this season,” Rohr told BBC Sport.“Uzoho made one mistake in the last qualifier (against Seychelles) but we gave him a chance with the youth under-23 and it was good for his confidence.“Daniel Akpeyi is playing now for a big team in South Africa and doing very well. Our third goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa too is good so we can work harder with them.“We have a good spirit as a team since the World Cup, so there’s no time to bring in new players,” Rohr concluded.Nigeria makes a return to the Africa Cup of Nations this year, having missed the last two tournaments.Meanwhile, Zimbabwe is in the process of negotiating friendly with the Super Eagles and the Bafana Bafana of South Africa in their build up to the continental show piece.Zimbabwe FA President Felton Kamambo, in an interview with Herald Newspapers sad plans for a warm-up game against Bafana Bafana are at an advanced stage, while they are also angling for another match against Nigeria.The date for the match against Bafana Bafana has already been set for May 26, while engagements with Nigeria are yet to reveal anything.Kamambo also said they are also courting a third team to play before they head to Egypt for the tournament, which runs from June 21 to July 19.“We are serious in our preparations for the Afcon tournament and we have quite a number of plans in place, some that I cannot talk about at the moment because of contractual agreements that first have to be met before going public,” Kamambo told The Herald.“In terms of serious friendly matches, we actually have one against South Africa that we hope will come to fruition because plans are at an advanced stage.“This is part of a joint send-off ceremony that we hope to have together with the South Africa national team that is also going to Afcon finals.“A friendly match between the two teams will be played on the 26th of May the next day after the send-off ceremony slated for the 25th. We intend to have the friendly match here, but it is yet to be finalised.“We will also go to Nigeria where we intend to play a game in Nigeria, but that is yet to be confirmed. We are still working on contractual agreements.“I think we will play three serious friendly matches that will afford the coaches a chance to fine tune their squad ahead of the tournament.”Zimbabwe are seeking to reach the AFCON knockout stage for the first time at this year’s continental showpiece.To reach that goal the Warriors will first have to navigate Group A, in which they face hosts Egypt, DR Congo and Uganda.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Femi Solaja with reportEven as pressure continues to mount on Super Eagles Head Coach, Gernot Rohr to have a rethink on his number one choice goalkeeper for Nigeria to the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt this summer, the Franco-German tactician has ruled out a change in his approach heading into the tournament.The three-time African champions have struggled to fill the void created by the shock retirement of the country’s most capped player, goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama in 2015, and the exit of replacement Carl Ikeme due to leukemia.Stakeholders in the country’s football have however expressed reservations over the ‘average’ performance of Uzoho at the last World Cup finals in Russia and have called on the coach to look into direction of other goalkeepers around the world but the German mentor has backed his goalkeeping trio to keep their places in the squad for continental showpiece. Super Eagles Coach, Gernot Rohrlast_img read more

Dina Hegab clinches Syracuse win for 2nd day in a row

first_imgFor the second day in a row, Dina Hegab was in the spotlight late in the afternoon in Oxford, Mississippi. Hegab cruised through the first set at fifth singles, 6-1, but dropped the second 4-6 to Purdue’s Alex Sabe. As the other courts came to a close, the Orange were deadlocked with the Boilermakers, 3-3, and the Egyptian senior had bounced back in the third, gaining a 5-2 cushion. Sabe mounted a comeback attempt, winning two games in a row, but Hegab closed out the match, 6-4. After upsetting No. 9 Michigan on Saturday, No. 24 Syracuse (4-0) edged out Purdue (3-1), 4-3, on Sunday in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend championship match. The Orange started slow, dropping two of the three doubles matches, but showed off their added depth in singles to book a spot in next month’s ITA National Team Indoor Championship. “We always talk about how numbers don’t really matter,” Hegab said last week. “We just need to get our job done in whatever spot we play.” Purdue took the doubles point with ease and handed top-pair Gabriela Knutson and Miranda Ramirez their first loss of the semester. But Sofya Golubovskaya soon tied the score. The No. 92 singles player breezed by Ena Babic in straight sets 6-2, 6-1. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textPurdue grabbed the lead back at sixth singles. Golubovskaya’s doubles partner, freshman Sofya Treshcheva, lost in two sets 6-3, 6-2, to Caitlin Calkins. Trescheva had a disappointing weekend after starting the season with two wins. Her match Saturday against No. 9 Michigan went unfinished, with her trailing 5-4 in the third set when it was called. Guzal Yusupova and Knutson both won their first sets, but SU waited a while for its second point. Yusupova was rolled in the second set, 6-1, and trailed 5-0 at one point. Knutson, facing the No. 19 singles player in the nation, lost a close tiebreak, 7-5. The Orange found their second point in a comeback victory by Miranda Ramirez in third singles. She traded 6-4 sets with Seira Shimizu. Ramirez then locked down in the third set, never giving Shimizu a look and closing out the match 4-6, 6-4, 6-0. Yusupova followed soon after to give Syracuse its first lead of the afternoon. The Washington State transfer bounced back from her disappointing second set, controlling the third and earning a point for SU 6-4, 1-6, 6-3. Knutson had a chance to clinch the SU win, but she allowed Purdue’s Silvia Ambrosio to complete her rally, losing 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4. The loss didn’t matter, though, as Hegab once again came up clutch. Hegab is now 4-0 in singles this season, anchoring down the Orange at fifth singles. “Dina’s grown tremendously since she’s been here,” associate head coach Shelley George said last week. “… She leads by example and her teammates look up to her and count on her.” Comments Published on January 27, 2019 at 7:36 pm Contact Arabdho: [email protected] | @aromajumder center_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

GP doctor facing ten sex-related charges still allowed to practice medicine

first_imgA Grande Prairie doctor who appeared in court Monday to hear a tenth sex-related charge is still practicing medicine. Dr. Palaniswami Murthi was arrested this past June on nine sex-related charges against four patients, including two minors–one male, one female. At that time, the Alberta College of Physicians and Surgeons didn’t suspend Dr. Murthi’s right to practice, but instead stipulated that he must be chaperoned in situations when he would normally be alone with patients.However, the College is reconsidering Murthi’s status after his arrest last Friday on charges of sexual assault against a fifth patient, this time an adult female. Police are calling all the charges against Murthi “historical in nature.”- Advertisement -The college is expected to make its decision in the next few days. Murthi’s preliminary hearing for the charges laid in June 2008 is scheduled for April 28th through May 2nd, 2009.last_img read more