MLB trade rumors: Mets ‘pushing hard’ to acquire Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto

first_img MLB hot stove: Mets, Mariners deal for Robinson Cano, Edwin Diaz official The Mets may not be finished making trades.New York is talking with the Marlins about a potential deal for catcher J.T. Realmuto, according to a report from The Athletic, which cites unidentified league sources. The teams are engaged in serious discussions, the report says. The Marlins are asking for at least one controllable major-league asset as the centerpiece of the package they receive in return for Realmuto, according to the report. New York could include Brandon Nimmo, Michael Conforto or Amed Rosario in the deal.#Marlins want at least one controllable major-league asset as centerpiece for Realmuto. #Mets have Conforto/Nimmo/Rosario, but would need to replace whoever they traded in FA market or other deals. Teams engaged. NYM aggressive. https://t.co/j1fpxsCNEl— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 4, 2018New York is “pushing hard” to acquire Realmuto and the sides continue to negotiate, according to a separate report from The Athletic.  Related News The 27-year-old Realmuto registered a .277/.340/.484 slash line and made his first All-Star team in 2018. He also hit 21 home runs and tallied 74 RBIs.The Mets officially acquired infielder Robinson Cano and hard-throwing closer Edwin Diaz from the Mariners last week in exchange for five players, including outfielder Jay Bruce as well as top prospects Jarred Kelenic and Justin Dunn.center_img MLB trade rumors: Mets have spoken with Indians about Corey Kluber #Mets are pushing hard for #Marlins Realmuto but package will be much stronger than just Nimmo according to sources on both sides— Jim Bowden (@JimBowdenGM) December 5, 2018#Marlins asking price for Realmuto from #Mets has been Conforto and Rosario ++….too steep for #Mets…..they’ll do Nimmo + but so far not enuf for #Marlins ….as talks continue…— Jim Bowden (@JimBowdenGM) December 5, 2018First-year Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen addressed the trade rumors surrounding his team and Realmuto in an interview Tuesday with SiriusXM Radio.“For us to move Major League pieces, especially core guys that will have the opportunity to play for our team for many years to come, it is always going to be a big burden or big challenge for us to move those guys,” Van Wagenen said. “(But) we’ve got to be open minded. We have to be willing to explore anything and not rule anything out.“We’ve got a little bit of flexibility (at catcher), but if we had a chance to get another guy that could impact the middle of our lineup, whatever position he plays, we’d be foolish not to explore it.”last_img read more

GM meetings accelerate critical winter for Angels, GM Billy Eppler

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Also, this year there is a much deeper pool from which to fill the Angels’ most glaring need: starting pitching. Last winter Patrick Corbin was the best pitcher available. The Angels tried to sign Corbin, but the East Coast native instead picked the Washington Nationals. They also tried to sign Nate Eovaldi, arguably the second-best starter on the market, but he returned to the reigning World Series champion Boston Red Sox. After that, there was Dallas Keuchel, whose demands were apparently high enough that no team signed him until June. Then the choices dropped off to pitchers like Lance Lynn and J.A. Happ.This year, the group starts with Gerrit Cole, who is a native of Orange County and has been widely connected to the Angels. Madison Bumgarner, Stephen Strasburg, Zack Wheeler, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Jake Odorizzi, Cole Hamels and Keuchel are all on the market.There are also a handful of mid-tier pitchers who could be back-of-the rotation innings-eaters, at least, including Julio Teheran, Kyle Gibson and Tanner Roark.That’s a much stronger collection of arms than was available last year.Although it may seem difficult to squeeze two pitchers out of that group with the Angels available payroll space, even with an increase, bear in mind that they can always backload contracts. They could pay less up front, and more after Albert Pujols comes off the books in 2022.The Angels also might explore a trade for a controllable pitcher like Noah Syndergaard or Matthew Boyd, who they discussed at last July’s deadline. Less likely, they could try to swing a deal for a one-year rental like Robbie Ray.In truth, the Angels probably need to find a way to get at least two reliable starters, supplementing a rotation that was decimated last year by injuries, poor performance and the tragic loss of Tyler Skaggs.As of now, the Angels are probably locked in to having Shohei Ohtani — who will be back as a two-way player after Tommy John surgery — in front of Andrew Heaney and Griffin Canning.Patrick Sandoval, Jaime Barría, José Suarez, Dillon Peters and Félix Peña will all be around for depth, but the Angels will certainly prefer to let one or two of those pitchers surprise them, rather than count on them for a prominent role.Beyond starting pitching, the Angels could probably stand to upgrade at catcher. They have Max Stassi, who is coming off hip surgery, and Kevan Smith. Yasmani Grandal is the top free agent catcher, although it’s difficult to imagine the Angels being able to afford him while still making the necessary upgrades to the rotation. Cheaper alternatives include Travis d’Arnaud, Robinson Chirinos and Martín Maldonado. A former Angel, Maldonado became Cole’s personal catcher at the end of this season in Houston.Related Articles Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — When Billy Eppler convenes with his colleagues at baseball’s GM meetings, starting on Monday, it will signal an acceleration into the business of what appears to be a critical winter for the organization.Two months ago the Angels merely picked up Eppler’s option, rather than extending his contract. Then they fired manager Brad Ausmus with two years left on his deal and replaced him with Joe Maddon.Those moves would seem to indicate that patience is running thin from owner Arte Moreno after the team’s fourth straight losing season.“We are in the entertainment business,” Moreno said at Maddon’s introductory press conference a couple weeks ago. “If you want people coming to the ballpark, or watching or listening, you want to be able to put a product out there… We have a lot of loyal fans. We’ve built a loyal fan base, but the reality is we need to perform, so when people come out here they have a little more fun. It’s more fun on the winning side.” Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros center_img For his part, Eppler insisted he is feeling no more pressure than at any other time during his tenure. Having come from the high-intensity world of the New York Yankees, Eppler said he tries to maintain the same philosophy each year.“I approach every season like it’s my first year on the job, regardless of if it’s my fifth year, 10th year, whatever,” he said. “I grew up in a pretty adverse environment in New York. I had a lot of training. I understand you focus on what you can control, focus on doing your job, focus on putting the strongest team that you can on the field, and let everything happen as it comes.”Skeptical fans will certainly question Eppler’s plan after what happened last winter. The Angels brought in Trevor Cahill, Matt Harvey, Cody Allen, Jonathan Lucroy and Justin Bour, and none of them delivered.As the Angels head into this offseason, there are a few reasons to believe that this winter could work out better.First, Moreno has indicated that the payroll will go up, although it remains to be seen how much. The Angels figure to have at least $30 million, plus whatever increase Moreno makes available. Given his frustration with the team’s performance after last year’s deals, it’s reasonable to suspect that Moreno may be willing to open his wallet a little more to acquire a higher caliber of player. Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter The good news is that the Angels can probably afford to stand pat everywhere except the rotation, and possibly behind the plate. Position players like David Fletcher, Tommy La Stella, Brian Goodwin and Luís Rengifo all emerged into 2019 as productive major leaguers, and Jo Adell figures to be on the way. Justin Upton and Andrelton Simmons both had down seasons because of injuries, so the Angels can be optimistic that they’ll rebound.And, of course, this winter they also have one element they didn’t last winter: They know Mike Trout’s future. Having inked Trout to a 12-year, $426.5-million deal in March, the Angels not only have the certainty of having him on the roster, but they can use that to sell to other free agents who a year ago may have been unsure.All of that provides a foundation on which Eppler will need to start building something better than what he has so far.“We thought we were being active last year,” Moreno said. “We just didn’t get it done. We want to win… Every year, the way I want to run our business, we shouldn’t be taking steps back.” Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros last_img read more

View comments

first_imgView comments Indian coffee magnate’s body found by river Teen dances to thank Niño for saving her life Pope Francis presides over Way of the Cross at Rome’s Colosseum PLAY LIST 01:54Pope Francis presides over Way of the Cross at Rome’s Colosseum02:02Pope Francis kisses feet of rival South Sudan leaders02:13Dela Rosa pushes death penalty bill, appeals for understanding from Church03:26PCSO to focus on improving transparency of gaming activities01:39Sotto open to discuss, listen to pros and cons of divorce bill06:02Senate to probe Tolentino’s ‘novel legal theories’ on oral agreements01:50Palace open to make Dengvaxia usable again as dengue cases spike01:49House seeks probe on ‘massive corruption’ in PCSO01:37PCSO estimates P250M in Lotto revenue loss due to suspension Cebu has over 200 diocesan priests of which  30 to 35 hold the  title of monsignor.The new Vatican policy  is not retroactive and those already named  monsignors will retain their title.FEATURED STORIESNEWSINFOBREAK: Suspension of Lotto operations lifted – PaneloNEWSINFODuterte to Cayetanos: ‘Kailan kaya matapos ang dynasty niyo?’NEWSINFOIndian family caught taking items from Bali hotel, sparking criticism onlineThe report was also carried in Ang Bag-ong Lungsoranon, the official newsletter of the Cebu Archdiocese.In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI, upon the request of then Cebu Archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal, conferred the title of “monsignor” on  18 priests in Cebu. Philippines ‘fires off’ diplomatic protest over Chinese vessels circling Pag-asa Island Binghay said the title of “monsignor”may create “division and elitism” which should be avoided.“We may be fortunate to be named ‘monsignor’  but it is not about the title. All of us should not aspire for titles. We should instead work hard for God’s glory even without being called a monsignor,” he said.The pope’s decision was in line with his call for simplicity and the need for clergy members to be close to their flock, especially the poor.Pope Francis  preferred to simply be called “Father” even when he was bishop and then cardinal of Argentina.According to the article, the pope  is convinced that the name ‘Father’ best reflects  the mission that was entrusted to a priest, bishop or cardinal.During his tenure as archbishop of Buenos Aires from 1998 to 2013, Pope Francis never requested the Vatican to confer the title of ‘monsignor’ on any priest in his archdiocese.Of the three grades of monsignor namely “Protonotary Apostolic,” “Honorary Prelate ”, and “Papal Chaplain ,” only the last will be conferred to worthy diocesan priests who reach the age of 65, the CNS reported./Reporter Ador Vincent MayolRead Next Palace open to make Dengvaxia usable again as dengue cases spike PSC: Protocols in place to ensure proper use of P6-billion SEA Games funds Cardi B cancels US show because of ‘security threat’center_img A priest has to be at least 65 years old to hold the title of “monsignor” in the Roman Catholic Church from now on.Pope Francis’  decision to limit the honor of “monsignor” among diocesan riests to those at least 65 years old  was recently announced in a letter from the Vatican Secretariat of State to bishops around the world, the Catholic News Service reported.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Five  Cebu  monsignors have the title Protonotary Apostolic, the highest among the three grades of monsignor: Msgr.  Adelito Abella, Msgr. Esteban Binghay, Msgr. Achilles Dakay, Msgr. Cayetano Gelbolingo and Msgr. Roberto Alesna.MORE STORIESnewsinfo‘Oratio Imperata,’ ringing of bells mark urgency of Church plea vs Negros bloodshednewsinfoBacolod bishop on Duterte push for death penalty: ‘We’re retrogressing’newsinfoIsraeli crews demolish Palestinian homes in east JerusalemMORE STORIESnewsinfo‘Oratio Imperata,’ ringing of bells mark urgency of Church plea vs Negros bloodshednewsinfoBacolod bishop on Duterte push for death penalty: ‘We’re retrogressing’newsinfoIsraeli crews demolish Palestinian homes in east JerusalemThese priests  can administer the Sacrament of Confirmation which was  originally performed by bishops.The title of “monsignor” is conferred on priests who have rendered valuable service to the Church. They have privileges in  ecclesiastical dress and vestments.Msgr. Binghay told Cebu Daily News he welcomed  Pope Francis’ new policy.No reason was stated for the change in the Vatican letter but the Pope has often warned clergy against the temptation of “careerism” and personal ambition.ADVERTISEMENT Bogues on Team USA pullouts: ‘l get some players feel like they’ve already done it’ Senate to probe Tolentino’s ‘novel legal theories’ on oral agreements LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Fan mail piles up at grave of French poet Rimbaudlast_img read more