Samsung Heavy scores LNG carrier order

first_imgIllustration purposes only (Image courtesy of SHI)South Korean shipbuilder Samsung Heavy Industries said it has secured an order for a liquefied natural gas carrier.According to the company’s stock exchange notice, the vessel has been ordered by an unnamed Asian owner.The order has been valued at 225.5 billion South Korean won ($186.2 million), the filing reads.Samsung Heavy Industries noted that the vessel is scheduled for delivery in October 2021. LNG World News Stafflast_img

Area youth wins BMX indoor final race

first_imgRushville, In. — A student from the Benjamin Rush Middle School in Rushville recently won the State Final Indoor BMX title. Aedan Muench-Bender finished fourth in points for the year, improving from fifth place last year.The race was held at the Steelwheels BMX Track in Hobart.Bender plans to attend Marian University where they have BMX team and hopefully go pro in the future.last_img

Jacob A. Young, 35

first_imgJacob A. Young, 35 of Greensburg passed away on Friday, December 27, 2019 at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center after his battle with cancer. Jacob was born on September 6, 1984 in Columbus, IN, the son of David and Rosalia (Combs) Young. He was a 2003 graduate of Greensburg High School. After high school he attended Anderson University where he graduated with his Bachelor’s Degree in Ministry and Broadcast Communications and later obtained a Master’s Degree from Indiana Wesleyan University in Ministry.Jacob most recently worked in the call center at Hill-Rom in customer service. He was involved in various ministries including being a youth group leader and a missionary to Ethiopia. As a child he loved playing sports and has always loved watching wrestling. In his later years he read various versions of the Bible and other books. He loved spending time with his family, friends, nieces and nephew and he never met a stranger.Survivors include his parents – David and Rosalia; his brother – Jason (Debbie) Young; his aunts – Dorothy (Matthew) Galbraith, Donna Mitchell, Debbie Dean and Karen (Gene) Kunz; his uncle – Curtis (Jannie) Combs Jr.; his nieces – Mikayla and Cheyenne Young; his nephew – Jackson Young and several cousins. He was preceded in death by his grandparents – Curtis Sr. and Ida Combs and Raymond Sr. and Helen Young; one aunt – Kathyleen Ward; one uncle – Raymond “George” Young; and two cousins – Chase Galbraith and Jordan Dale.A Memorial Service will be held on Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 2PM at the Gilliland-Howe Funeral Home with Rev. Jane Noblitt officiating, visitation will follow from 3PM – 5PM. Burial will be at Union Baptist Cemetery at a later date. Memorial contributions may be made to the Gideon’s or Riley Children’s Hospital. Online condolences may be made to the family at www.gilliland-howe.com.last_img read more

Barry future may be sorted soon

first_img The 32-year-old England international, a £12million signing from Aston Villa in 2009, will enter the final year of his contract in the summer. Barry has said he would like to extend his stay and even end his career at the Etihad Stadium and with fellow midfielder Yaya Toure tied to a new deal just last week, City manager Roberto Mancini has suggested Barry could be next. When asked about Barry at his latest press conference, the Italian said: “I think we have three or four players in this situation. We will decide this in the next month but these players are important players for us. I am very happy with Gareth because Gareth is a good guy and a serious professional player. He is really serious as a man.” Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry’s future at the club could be determined before the end of the season. Press Associationcenter_img Another player who will only have one year remaining on his contract by the summer is striker Carlos Tevez. Mancini has previously hinted the Argentinian could be offered a one-year extension to his deal. Tevez, who impressed in Monday’s defeat of Manchester United and has scored seven goals in his last seven appearances, is currently training and playing while carrying out community service. The 29-year-old was ordered to undertake 250 hours of unpaid work after being convicted of driving whilst disqualified earlier this month. Mancini claims there has not been any issue balancing his responsibilities. When asked if it could lead to problems, Mancini said: “I don’t think so, no.” Mancini will check on the fitness of two other key players ahead of Sunday’s game at Wembley. Playmaker David Silva was rated highly doubtful immediately after suffering a hamstring injury at Old Trafford but has improved since and has not yet been ruled out. Mancini said: “We will decide, I think, on Sunday morning. We don’t know if it is possible and if there is a risk he will not play, but if there is not then maybe. He is getting better. Yesterday he ran, so I think we have a chance.” Striker Sergio Aguero, who came off the bench to score a superb winner on Monday, is not yet a definite starter as the club manage his return from a knee injury. The manager said: “I don’t think he is fit 100 per cent. If he was he would have played the whole game against United. But now he is getting better and his knee is okay. It could be that he starts.” last_img read more

Hottest summer ‘ever’ melting Greenland ice sheet

first_imgNASA says a massive melting event in Greenland poured billions of tons of water into the Atlantic Ocean last month.The extreme melting of Greenland’s massive ice sheet occurred during the hottest summer ever recorded.A new report from the World Meteorological Organization says this June and July broke or tied all-time average temperature records.No other information is available at this time.last_img

Guyana’s cricket has not suffered despite the off-field predicaments, says Sanasie

first_imgSECRETARY of the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) Anand Sanasie says that cricket has not suffered despite the numerous court actions, which are yet to be resolved. The administration of the game locally has been locked in a series of court battles over the years, and not even Cricket West Indies formerly the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) or successive Guyanese governments have mustered the courage to settle the impasse, which would ultimately see the image of the game return to some normalcy.“As I said almost four years ago cricket has not suffered as a result of all of this. We, the executives, have suffered and we have had our names brandished all over the place,” Sanasie said, after the GCB annual general meeting last Sunday.He added “On the field of play Guyana’s cricket has been going places. It has been doing well, so we have been insulating the players, the coaches, and everything that is going on in cricket … the cricket competitions have been going on, and so what is transpiring in the boardroom or at the courts we have been dealing with.“The GCB in the region had some issues, but we are represented in all forms of West Indies cricket, and locally we still continue to have our competitions played … in fact there is more cricket being played now than four/five years ago,” Sanaise concluded.The cricket impasse all started after they were allegations of illegal elections back in 2011.last_img read more

Former national cycling champion alleges vendetta from GCF’s Burrowes

first_imgTHE list of allegations of roguery against Guyana Cycling Federation (GCF) president Horace Burrowes continues to grow, as former multi-time National champion, Raynauth Jeffrey has stepped forward with claims that the embattled GCF head is waging a personal vendetta against him.In an emotional social media post, Jeffrey stated; “I’m a former Guyanese multi-time National champion, and I say former because I’ve been treated as such by Horace Burrowes and the Guyana Cycling Federation.”He continued; “For the past 4 years I’ve been victimised, alienated and discarded by the federation from every touring team and every opportunity to represent the country of my birth. Despite being in the best form of my life I was continuously passed over for selection. My guess is I refuse to be a follower, a puppet and to give in to the bullying tactics of the Burrowes-led federation.”This comes in the wake of Burrowes failing to call elections for the GCF, even though the constitution clearly states that elections were to be held no later than March 31, a date which has passed two weeks now.In more worrying allegations, Jeffrey revealed; “There are so many instances of encounters and attempts by this individual (Burrowes) to cripple my career as a cyclist, too many to list.”“I can guarantee had I been selected over the years, Guyana would have had at least one gold medal if not more at the Caribbean Championships in both Time Trials and Road Race.”Multi-time National cycling champion, Raynauth JeffreyJeffrey then went on to divulge such an instance of attempted sabotage by Burrowes; “Fast forward to more recently at Speedweek 2018 in the USA. I was all prepared and made the mistake of posting on Facebook that I was racing at Speedweek. Much to my shock, when I showed up to pick up my package, USA CRITS (body in charge of Speedweek) told me I could not race because the president of my country’s federation had told them I’m not allowed to do so”.“Desperately I reached out to seek help. It turned out that Horace Burrowes had personally called the Technical Director of the USA Cycling Federation and told them not to allow me to race because he did not authorise it and that my licence was fake!”To this end, Jeffrey questioned the authenticity of the GCF, saying; “My licence was issued by the GCF; so then maybe he was giving fake licences! Thanks to Keith Fernandes and Elvis Budhram, who both communicated back and forth with USA Cycling, that the situation was resolved in time for me to race that evening and the entire series”.In yet another example of victimisation, Jeffrey pointed out; “Not finished here, he then tried to block me again from racing in Floyd Bennett (an airfield used for cycling series in the USA) using licensing as a reason, after I was leading the series and his brother was in second. The aim probably was to prevent me from competing so his brother could win the series. At the same time other Guyanese cyclists who were affiliated to him were allowed to race in the series without valid licences. The list goes on and on.”“Throughout my career as a cyclist I’ve earned every bit of my way and opportunity because of my ability and dedication, unlike others who have stooped to their master just to be given the opportunity.”He concluded; “It’s 2019 and it’s Speedweek in the USA again. Let’s see if Burrowes will try to block me again from competing. The GCF has not issued licences as yet for 2019, so he may have a foot to stand on this time!”last_img read more

How Cam Akers and the wildcat formation sliced up the Syracuse defense

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse expected Cam Akers to be good. It knew he could break tackles and cause problems in the open field. What the Orange didn’t know was that he could throw. And it most certainly didn’t expect him to play as quarterback repeatedly. “It was very interesting to have Cam Akers out there trying to throw the ball, playing quarterback,” Syracuse linebacker Lakiem Williams said. “I mean I’ve never seen that before.” Akers lined up at quarterback several times in Florida State’s 35-17 win over the Orange at Doak Campbell Stadium on Saturday. The Orange (3-5, 0-4 Atlantic Coast) said they hadn’t seen that many direct snaps to Akers at quarterback on film. Its lack of preparation from SU showed. Akers completed two passes for 26 yards on his first series at the position. He’d only throw once more but the threat opened up the ground game, where Akers finished with 144 yards and tied a school record with four touchdowns. “When you’ve got a first round draft pick and you’ve got 10 guys blocking, that’s a really really good formation,” Syracuse head coach Dino Babers said. “I would be very surprised if they don’t consider to use it throughout the year.” Babers explained the mismatch by saying that Akers now had less tackles to break than before. Instead of breaking three or four tackles, Akers had less players to go by to pick up big yardage. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textFSU created this predicament in part not only by using a direct snap to Akers but also through its blocking scheme. On many plays, the Seminoles sent one or two offensive linemen pulling out in front of the nation’s 12th leading rusher. Then came a crack-back block, meaning someone, who lined up outside the offensive tackle, would come back inside and seal the edge. “I got to find a way to get through the double team then I got to identify who’s trying to crack back on me and got over the top of him,” Williams said. “So it just makes it difficult…It was kind of like a push everybody down and let him bounce it and hit it in a way.”The plays often featured another back lined up next to Akers, whom he’d either handoff or at least fake the ball to. On one play in the second quarter, he kept the snap, ran wide right and with a block from quarterback Alex Hornibrook, dove into the end zone for a touchdown. The next play, Akers faked a pitch to the running back beside him and waltzed into the end zone untouched for a two-point conversion. Both Williams and defensive tackle Josh Black noted that the hardest part about defending the wildcat was that it was something the Orange hadn’t seen on film. Syracuse’s defense would’ve normally set rules to fall back on but those became murky as the quarterback was really a running back. Unsure of assignments at times, Syracuse failed to fill their run gap responsibilities. Akers hit repeatedly off tackle, frequently cutting up field between the tackle and slot receiver. Then, he often broke a tackle, sometimes two. It was a wrinkle Syracuse wasn’t prepared for, and it paid the price. “This game is like a game of chess whoever has the move ahead is going to get the advantage,” Black said. “And they were able to do that on us.”  Comments Published on October 26, 2019 at 10:23 pm Contact Josh: jlschafe@syr.edu | @Schafer_44last_img read more

Warner’s extradition proceedings postponed

first_imgJack Warner Embattled former FIFA vice-president, Trinidadian Jack Warner has succeeded in having extradition proceedings against him put off for another nine months.Warner, who remains a prominent figure in the FIFA corruption scandal which saw several high-profile officials indicted by the US courts in 2015, received a blow in his bid to avoid extradition to the United States where he will face corruption charges.  In November of last year, a Trinidad and Tobago court threw out an appeal filed on behalf of Warner that challenged the legality of the extradition order.In submissions, Warner’s attorneys had argued that the procedures adopted by the attorney general in signing the extradition treaty two years ago violated his rights as a citizen based on the Extradition Act.  The judge disagreed but gave the former CONCACAF boss leave to appeal the decision.  Following a return to court on Monday, Justice Mark Mohammed agreed that the appeal against the decision would be heard in November.   Warner was represented by Senior Counsel Fyard Hosein and attorneys Anil Maraj and Sasha Bridgemohansingh. He is accused of 12 offences related to racketeering, corruption and money laundering, allegedly committed in the US and Trinidad and Tobago, dating as far back as 1990.last_img read more

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

first_imgUS cycling star Lance Armstrong has announced he will no longer fight drug charges from the US anti-doping agency, ahead of a Friday deadline.In a statement, the 40-year-old maintains he is innocent, but says he is weary of the “nonsense” accusations.The US anti-doping agency (USADA) now says it will ban Armstrong from cycling for life and strip him of his seven Tour de France titles.Armstrong retired from professional sport in 2011.USADA alleges he used banned substances as far back as 1996, including the blood-booster EPO, steroid and blood transfusions.Armstrong sued in federal court to block the charges but lost. ‘Heartbreaking’ case“There comes a point in every man’s life when he has to say, ‘Enough is enough.’ For me, that time is now,” Armstrong said in the statement.“I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999.“Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart’s [USADA’s chief executive] unconstitutional witch hunt.“The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense.” Armstrong had been given until 06:00 GMT on Friday to decide whether to continue fighting the USADA charges.The agency has said that 10 of Armstrong’s former teammates are prepared to testify against him.The cyclist has accused USADA of offering “corrupt inducements” to other riders.USADA also accuses Armstrong of being a “ring-leader” of systematic doping on his Tour de France winning teams.Mr Tygart said shortly after Armstrong’s statement that his agency would ban Armstrong from cycling for life and strip him of his titles, according to AP. The chief executive described the case as a “heartbreaking” example of a win-at-all costs approach to sports.However, Armstrong disputed that the USADA has the power to take away his titles.“USADA lacks jurisdiction even to bring these charges,” his statement said.The cycling governing body the International Cycling Union (UCI) – which had backed Armstrong’s challenge to challenge USADA’s authority – has so far made no public comments on the latest developments.Armstrong, who survived testicular cancer prior to his record-breaking Tour wins, retired after the 2005 Tour de France but made a comeback in 2009. He retired for a second time in February 2011.He now says he will be focusing on the work with his cancer charity.last_img read more