SHARE Email Facebook Twitter June 22, 2020 Criminal Justice Reform, Press Release, Prison Reform Governor Tom Wolf announced today that since March 1, the population of those in state correctional facilities has been reduced by 3,471 individuals, the largest multiple-month decrease ever experienced by the Department of Corrections and one that likely helped the department reduce the number of COVID-19 cases in facilities.“When COVID-19 arrived, the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections met the challenge of keeping the general public safe while protecting its inmate population from this easily transmissible disease,” Gov. Wolf said. “The department has been successful at keeping COVID-19 from spreading widely in the congregate settings of correctional facilities.”In the three-plus months since COVID-19 was first identified in Pennsylvania, less than 1 percent of the state prison population has tested positive. Ultimately, the inmates inside state correctional institutions have proven so far to be more secure from COVID-19 than the general population, where the mortality rate is 90% higher than it is in the state’s correctional facilities as of today.The population reduction includes furloughing paroled individuals from centers to home plans; working with the parole board to maximize parole releases; reviewing parole detainers for those in county jails and state prisons; expediting the release process for anyone with a pending approved home plan; reviewing and releasing inmates who are beyond their minimum sentences; and implementing the temporary reprieve program that has allowed Gov. Wolf to issue reprieves to 159 inmates during the pandemic.These releases are in addition to preexisting criminal justice reform efforts that have reduced Pennsylvania’s prison population from 48,881 inmates when Gov. Wolf entered office at the beginning of January 2015 to 41,738 inmates today. That 7,143 decrease in population in under five years has allowed the state to reduce taxpayer costs by closing facilities while enabling more Pennsylvanians to resume their lives – all without an increase in the state’s crime rate.“The Department of Corrections takes pride in its ability to keep inmates safe and will continue to prioritize health and wellness during the COVID-19 crisis,” DOC Sec. John Wetzel said. “We will continue to seek improvements in our criminal justice system that minimizes the number of incarcerated individuals while providing the highest degree of safety to every Pennsylvanian.”Pennsylvania has taken a bipartisan approach to criminal justice reform and in recent years has:Passed Justice Reinvestment 2 addressing the high cost of incarceration in the state, strengthening support for county probation programs and fixing inadequate sentencing guidelines, and reforming the post-trial criminal justice system.Created a Fair-Chance hiring policy for state agencies that removes the criminal conviction question, otherwise known as “banning the box,” from non-civil service employment applications for agencies under the governor’s jurisdiction.Signed the “Clean Slate” bill, the first of its kind in the nation, to help those who have committed low-level offenses and have paid their penalty get back on the path to a blemish-free record, removing potential roadblocks to jobs, housing, health care, and education.Signed Act 95 of 2018, eliminating driver’s license suspensions for non-driving infractions.Signed Act 146 of 2018, extending the time a convicted individual has to file a post-conviction relief action to one year, from what was 60 days under current law.Signed Act 147 of 2018, updating Pennsylvania’s DNA testing law to reflect significant advances in technology and the lessons learned by criminal justice professionals since 2002. The legislation removes the supervision requirement that only people serving a sentence can apply for DNA testing.Signed Act 148 of 2018, a victim protection bill regarding housing options and emergency transfers.Find more information on Pennsylvania’s response to COVID-19.Find more information on Gov. Wolf’s Process to Reopen PA.Ver esta página en español. Gov. Wolf: Pennsylvania Reduced Prison Population by Record-Setting 3,471 since March 1
In an effort to speed up innovation and co-creation on new business models, including intelligent vessels, Finland’s technology group Wärtsilä has opened the first of four Digital Acceleration Centres (DAC).The first such centre was launched in Helsinki, Finland on October 11, the second will open in December in Singapore and two further acceleration centres, one in Central Europe and one in North America, are anticipated during 2018. In addition “pop-up” DACs will be tested around the globe, the company said.Opening DACs is an integral part of Wärtsilä’s digital transformation, designed to shift the company towards a data-driven, insights led, smart technology firm that enables sustainable societies.“The Digital Acceleration Centre is all about getting business outcomes at pace. By adopting a start-up mind-set, we can rapidly prototype ideas with customers; including the use of emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, block chain and virtual reality,” Marco Ryan, Wärtsilä’s Chief Digital Officer, said.Wärtsilä’s first Digital Acceleration Centre in Helsinki has already been running as a beta version for a couple of months and several projects have been accelerated there with different partners. Current projects include co-creation with one of major cruise companies. One of the greatest successes incubated so far in the Helsinki DAC is Wärtsilä’s Intelligent Vessel Strategy.“The Digital Acceleration Centre shows its true power in such complex concepts like Intelligent Vessels. In a matter of weeks we created an aligned strategy, concepts, roadmaps, and technology requirements that would have taken months or years,” Ryan added.Wärtsilä’s start-up acquisition, Eniram, has worked together with Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCL) for years in optimising fleet and ship operations as well as reducing emissions and cutting fuel costs. Building on this experience, Wärtsilä and RCL are now working together to develop all aspects of the intelligent vessel further, using the DAC to accelerate some of the prototyping.Wärtsilä has also partnered up with Accenture Interactive in the Digital Acceleration Centres to speed up innovation and go-to-market as well as to help grow Wärtsilä’s own talent for creating world-class digital services.The latest example of the Intelligent Vessel strategy being driven at pace is Wärtsilä’s acquisition of Guidance Marine Limited, a technology leader in the marine industry for sensor solutions relating to dynamic positioning and other vessel control systems.Image/Video Courtesy: Wärtsilä
Sen. Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III and Eric Go Yap “I’m discussing with my subordinates if a motu proprio investigation will be conducted on Senator Koko Pimentel’s supposed breach of COVID-19 protocols at the Makati Medical Center,” Ombudsman Samuel Martires said in a statement. The MMC denounced Pimentel’s breach of the infection and containment protocols. The senator was also spotted last week shopping at the S&R membership Shopping in Bonifacio Global City in Taguig, which the store later confirmed. “For whatever reason, he failed to disclose all needed information. PSG troopers on duty assessed him according to the answers on the said form he submitted, the basis of which he was allowed entry,” PSG commander Colonel Jesus Durante III said. Meanwhile, the Presidential Security Group (PSG) is considering filing charges against Yap for not disclosing necessary information when he entered the Palace for a meeting on March 21. “I am preparing a complaint based on provisions of the Revised Penal Code and special laws,” Quicho said. “I have told the Philippine Medical Association, doctors, nurses, and patients that they can file complaints of their own.” Department of Justice Undersecretary Markk Perete has earlier said that they are ready to probe Pimentel if someone will file a case against him, same goes with the Philippine National Police. “If really needed we could file a case against him for breach [of protocols],” he added. “This incident shall serve as a reference for PSG’s implementation of an enhanced screening measure for all those who enter Malacañang Complex.” Pimentel came under fire after he accompanied his wife to MMC on Tuesday evening, despite being under self-quarantine. He also received a COVID-19 test result that evening where he is positive for the virus. The Office of the Ombudsman is considering a probe on Pimentel for his action despite already subjected himself to COVID-19 test which eventually turned out positive last Tuesday night. MANILA – Sen. Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III and ACT-CIS party-list Representative Eric Go Yap were currently in hot water for breaching quarantine protocols against coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The Philippines is currently under a State of Public Health Emergency, a power under Republic Act 11332 or the Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act. Under the law, “non-cooperation of the person or entities identified as having the notifiable disease, or affected by the health event of public concern.”/PN Yap earlier said evening that his COVID-19 testing, which was taken on March 15, has turned out to be positive. He added that he is ready to face any possible charges against him. Private lawyer Rico Quicho, meanwhile, is drafting criminal, civil, and administrative charges to be filed against Pimentel for “irresponsible and reckless” move when he accompanied his wife to the Makati Medical Center despite being on quarantine.
StumbleUpon Submit Share LV BET celebrates Vanarama National League’s return July 17, 2020 Related Articles FA to carry out review of broadcasting rights January 8, 2020 DCMS praises ‘constructive talks’ with FA over streaming rights January 16, 2020 Share Vanarama National League clubs have voted by a ‘clear majority’ to cancel all remaining fixtures for its three non-league divisions.In total 90 per cent of all National League clubs, across its three leagues, responded to the organisation’s proposal to end the playing season for all fixtures scheduled up to and including 25 April 2020. As a result, the National League, National League North and National League South will be concluded effectively immediately. National League Chief Executive Officer, Michael Tattersall, commented: “At a time when the entire country is wrestling with the devastating impact of Covid-19, the cancellation of the remaining normal season matches brings a degree of certainty to our clubs coping with the business implications of the virus.”Clubs that have yet to vote on the decision will still be given the option to voice opinions with the organisation wanting to ‘include as many preferences as possible before the final voting result is declared’. Nevertheless, given the apparent substantial number of clubs which have opted to end the current season, the final decision seems like a formality to show how many teams voted either way. Information regarding promotion and relegation has yet to be announced with a variety of measures still being discussed according to the organisation. The league will possibly use protocols already been implemented by other organisations, looking at how other leagues have handled a campaign conclusion. In Scotland the SPFL declared that the season would end effectively immediately in its second, third and fourth division. The current, and final, standings have then been used resulting in Dundee gaining promotion and Partick Thistle suffering relegation. Whereas, the Football Association (FA) revealed that steps six and below of the football pyramid would be ‘null and void’. The National League divisions have been suspended since March 16 after the spread of the coronavirus in the UK led to all sporting activities being indefinitely postponed or cancelled.