City duo could leave Manchester

first_img Manager Pellegrini admitted he must trim his squad before adding any further recruits, as City fight to comply with Financial Fair Play constraints. Porto capture Eliaquim Mangala could be City’s final summer signing unless the club can offload Sinclair and Guidetti, Pellegrini conceded. Manchester City have “too many players” and could allow John Guidetti and Scott Sinclair to leave before the end of the transfer window, according to Manuel Pellegrini. “It’s not finished, until the last day we can do different things,” said Pellegrini at the Premier League launch. “But if you ask me at this moment if I am happy with the squad, yes I am very happy with my squad. “We had a lot of problems also with Financial Fair Play with the restriction of the amount of players we can put in our squad. “So maybe I don’t think that we are going to sign another player because we cannot do it. “We have maybe too many players in the squad at this moment, players that need to play, that’s very important, especially for young players. “John Guidetti or maybe Scott Sinclair, they may need to play in a different team, so we’ll see from now until the end of the transfer window what happens with our squad. “But at this moment, yes we have too many players.” Pellegrini has added Bacary Sagna, Fernando, Willy Caballero, Frank Lampard and Bruno Zuculini to the champions’ squad, along with Mangala this summer. City expect to stay within the £49million spending limit imposed by UEFA for last term’s FFP breaches, while Pellegrini is also mindful of sticking to the reduced 21-man squad cap. Feyenoord are understood to be keen on completing a permanent deal for 22-year-old Sweden forward Guidetti, who enjoyed a loan stint with the Dutch club in 2011-12. Sinclair joined Manchester City from Swansea in 2012, but has made just three starts in his two years at the Etihad Stadium. The 25-year-old admitted after Sunday’s 3-0 Community Shield defeat to Arsenal that he would seek a move if he cannot secure regular first-team football. Refusing to prioritise the Champions League this term, Pellegrini said City cannot use FFP constraints as an excuse. “It’s easy to give excuses, but I don’t like to do that,” he said. “I’ll always field the strongest team and we want to win every time we play, and in every competition. “You don’t have five or six teams in any other major league where any one of them can win the title. “So the Premier League is still the most important league, and it’s important for us also.” City start the defence of their Premier League title by facing Newcastle at St James’ Park on Sunday. Pellegrini admitted he is yet to rule on whether to restore Joe Hart to his line-up after omitting the England goalkeeper from the Community Shield starting team. Argentinian keeper Caballero made his club debut in the Arsenal defeat at Wembley, after his summer move from Malaga. The City manager defended his rotation policy, claiming he has his players’ best interest in mind rather than sheer ruthlessness. “The best way to have high performance is to have two competitive players in each position,” said Pellegrini. “Nobody must be afraid of that: Joe Hart had a very good second part of the season last year. “He’s the best goalkeeper in England, but of course when he didn’t play well last year we played (Costel) Pantilimon. “It’s impossible for a player to play 60 games in a year, to play 18 games during December and January as we did last season. “It is sure that that player would be injured if that happened, so that’s why it’s so important to have two quality players in each position. “I always decide the best team for each game, this week the same, and on Monday we will review Newcastle and start that process again.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Wisconsin backs national ‘You Can Play’ initiative supporting LGBT athletes

first_imgAlthough her time with Wisconsin athletics is coming to a close, Ilana Friedman, a member of the women’s hockey team, has done her part to leave her mark with hard work off the ice over the last year.With Friedman’s work and cooperation from the Athletic Department, UW joined the “You Can Play” movement that hundreds of other college athletic departments, high schools, professional sports teams and other sports organizations already supporting the project.“As an out member of the LGBT community, the ‘You Can Play’ project is the perfect fit for UW Athletics,” Friedman said at a press conference Monday. “The support and reception from my teammates, fellow Badger athletes, staff from inside the Athletic Department and the larger Madison community in response to YCP has been overwhelmingly positive and shows how progressive and outstanding the Wisconsin Badger community truly is.”The central goal for the ‘You Can Play’ project is to ensure equality, respect and safety for all athletes regardless of sexual orientation. The program is also focused on working to provide all athletes a fair chance to be judged by other athletes and fans based only on their contributions to the team.To demonstrate its support for the movement, the department produced a video for the Wisconsin YouTube channel focused on the message, “If you can play, you can play.”last_img read more

Future of NHT to be Debated in Parliament – PM Holness

first_img In that regard, the Prime Minister revealed that the commissioned strategic review of the NHT is now complete. He said the Government is eager to debate the report in Parliament. Prime Minister Andrew Holness has committed that the Government will debate the future of the National Housing Trust (NHT) in Parliament before the end of the year. Prime Minister Andrew Holness has committed that the Government will debate the future of the National Housing Trust (NHT) in Parliament before the end of the year.Prime Minister Holness made the announcement today (Wednesday, October 3) at the Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Maxfield Park Housing Project in East Central St. Andrew. According to the Prime Minister, in its present form, the NHT may need some reforms to meet current needs.In that regard, the Prime Minister revealed that the commissioned strategic review of the NHT is now complete. He said the Government is eager to debate the report in Parliament.“I want to make that commitment and make that announcement that we (Government) will debate the report in Parliament and make some decisions thereafter as to what will be the reform of NHT,” said Prime Minister Holness.A strategic review of the NHT was commissioned in 2017 by Prime Minister Holness with the objective of accessing the operations of the NHT with a view to making improvements.Prime Minister Holness said the Opposition is being asked to support the debate in Parliament.“That report has in it many proposals as to how we can reform the NHT so that it can both support the national agenda items such as the economic programmes and also how to expand its true mandate which is to increase homeownership in Jamaica,” explained Prime Minister Holness.In the meantime, Prime Minister Holness said the Government is committed to giving every citizen the opportunity to homeownership.“It is the most heartwarming experience when somebody realizes that they have now the key to their own home and I want to give that experience to all Jamaicans,” stated Prime Minister Holness.Addressing the matter of development in the country, the Prime Minister said he will not allow Jamaica to descend into chaos as a result of improper planning.“The Government of Jamaica will not sit by and allow the country to descend into chaos, whether it is chaos into development or chaos in public order or chaos in crime. The government of Jamaica is taking a proactive, instrumental and deliberate approach to intervene in the development of communities to ensure that the development is orderly, is peaceful but more importantly it is equitable and accessible,” said Prime Minister Holness.Approximately 210 housing solutions will be built on Ricketts Crescent on over six acres of land in the Maxfield Avenue area. The constituency is represented by Opposition Leader Dr. Peter Phillips. Story Highlights Prime Minister Holness made the announcement today (Wednesday, October 3) at the Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Maxfield Park Housing Project in East Central St. Andrew. According to the Prime Minister, in its present form, the NHT may need some reforms to meet current needs.last_img read more