Luckily, the Schenectady County Health and Equitable Food Action Plan provides an incredible blueprint for how we can work together to alleviate food insecurity.We have already had initial conversations with Trinity Reformed and Bellevue Reformed’s Little Food Pantry, but much more coordination of services can be done, both locally and with larger Schenectady County entities like Schenectady Inner City Ministry (SICM) and Concerned for the Hungry’s Food Providers Network.As we journey into a new year together, I pray everyone in our community will consider new ways to partner and strengthen our efforts to feed our hungry neighbors.Rev. Dustin G. WrightSchenectadyThe writer is pastor of the Messiah Lutheran Church.More from The Daily Gazette:Schenectady’s Lucas Rodriguez forging his own path in dance, theater, musicFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?Schenectady department heads: Budget cutbacks would further stress already-stretched departmentsMotorcyclist injured in Thursday afternoon Schenectady crashSchenectady, Saratoga casinos say reopening has gone well; revenue down 30% All too often we think of food insecurity as only something affecting rural and urban areas. Yet the face of hunger in America is quickly changing.In Rotterdam’s Mohonasen school district, for instance, about a third of students now receive free or reduced-cost lunches from the National School Lunch Program.In response to this need, we at Messiah Lutheran Church in Rotterdam opened the Bread of Life Food Pantry a bit over two years ago on Oct. 4, 2015.This ministry quickly grew to operate twice a month, serving roughly 130 meals in that time. Plans to expand our hours and facilities, as well as to provide skills building services like cooking classes or public speaking classes, are also in the works.Over the last two years, however, we realized that no individual congregation or organization can tackle the issue of food security in Rotterdam and other nearby communities alone. Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion
He assured that the government would make a decision soon, saying the education sector would be the last to be reopened after the implementation of large-scale social restrictions (PSBB).”Compared to other sectors, education will be the last. Given the unmeasured risks, we can’t calculate [the exact date] just yet.”President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo previously suggested to delay the start of the school year, as allowing schools to reopen their campuses as scheduled would be a great risk to the country’s education, tribunnews.com reported on Sunday. The ministry’s deputy coordinator of education and religious affairs, Agus Sartono, said the ministry had considered allowing students to return to campus in late August or early September.”But the end of December is better […] We don’t want to be like France and South Korea. They reopened their schools too early and many students were exposed [to COVID-19],” he said.The Jakarta Education Agency previously planned to reopen schools on July 13, in line with the government’s academic calendar. The plan, however, had to take into account the central government’s policies and each school’s preparations in curbing COVID-19 transmission. According to agency head Nahdiana, authorities have formulated three different scenarios for students returning to school. The first option is to reopen some schools and allow all of their students to attend, the second is to reopen several schools and only allow half of their students on campus and the third option is to reopen all schools while requiring some students to study from home. The government is mulling over plans to reopen school campuses by the end of the year or at the beginning of 2021, after students were required to study from home in the final few months of the school year to remains safe from the COVID-19 pandemic. According to the government’s official academic calendar, the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year is slated for July 13. However, it may order schools to reopen for on-campus activities in late December at the earliest — if the pandemic shows signs of receding. “That’s just an estimation. According to our calendar, [the new school year starts] in mid-July, but I won’t recommend [students going back to campus],” Coordinating Human Development and Culture Minister Muhadjir Effendy said in a statement on Monday.Read also: Ministry suggests shorter school hours as part of ‘new normal’ Topics :
Brookville, In. — A report from the Connersville News-Examiner says Franklin County engineer Ted Cooley has resigned following the Community Crossings grant program application process.Officials from the Indiana Department of Transportation told county officials the applications submitted were incomplete, confusing and contained no supporting documentation.Franklin County commissioners commended Cooley for accepting responsibility but did express some concern over issues raised by state officials.Cooley has been serving as the engineer for the last six years and will remain at the post until December 1, 2017.
___The Diamond League track meet in Gateshead, England, has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic.It is the fifth of the 15 meets in the series to be canceled. The event in London was also called off.The Gateshead meet was originally scheduled for Aug. 16 and then moved to Sept. 12 before being canceled.The first full Diamond League meet is currently set to be held on Aug. 14 in Monaco. Williams, a Hall of Famer with three NCAA championships, is preparing for his 18th season at his alma mater.___The Buffalo Bills are giving season ticket holders the option to have their money refunded or defer any payments made toward the 2021 season.Those who choose to defer payments will maintain an opportunity to purchase a limited number of single-game tickets for this year, should fans be allowed to attend, the team wrote in a letter to season ticket holders on Thursday.Season ticket holders will maintain their seniority for next season no matter which option they choose. Those choosing to keep their money in the account will also get subscriptions to NFL Game Pass and the NFL Network’s RedZone channel. Alvarez added that “I believe we will reach a monumental crossroads in the coming days.”His letter follows a Wisconsin State-Journal repor t that the athletic department could lose more than $100 million if there’s no football season. According to that report, Wisconsin would lose between $60 million and $70 million if the football team played a Big Ten-only schedule while all other sports continued.___A Venezuelan scout who worked for the Arizona Diamondbacks in the Dominican Republic has died of COVID-19.The team released a statement saying Johan Maya died due to complications of the coronavirus on Thursday. He joined the Diamondbacks in 2019 after 15 years scouting for the Houston Astros. Associated Press The team’s statement said Maya “was a great person, a family guy and true baseball man who started his career as a professional player and went on to coaching before becoming a scout.”___The American Academy of Pediatrics has announced new recommendations for youth sports during the pandemic to minimize risks of COVID-19.They include masks for young athletes in non-vigorous activities when social distancing isn’t possible, practicing in small pods that don’t switch players and not sharing equipment.Because the virus spreads most easily with prolonged, close contact with an infected person, risks to young athletes will likely depend on the type of sport, number of players and indoor versus outdoor setting, the academy said, adding, “Risk can be decreased but not eliminated, by athletes, parents, coaches and officials following safety protocols.” Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Chinese basketball league is set to allow limited numbers of spectators into games this Sunday before being fully open to fans from July 31 for playoff games in Qingdao. South Korea says it will allow baseball fans to return to the stands beginning Sunday as health authorities outlined a phased process to bring back spectators in professional sports amid the COVID-19 epidemic.Senior Health Ministry official Yoon Tae-ho, during a virus briefing on Friday, also said fans will be allowed at professional soccer games starting on Aug. 1. However, professional golf tournaments will continue without galleries at least until late August, he said.Both baseball and soccer teams will be initially allowed to sell only 10% of the seats for each game as officials plan to control the level of attendance based on the progress of anti-virus efforts.Spectators will continue to be banned in the city of Gwangju and nearby South Jeolla Province towns, which have elevated their social distancing measures following a rise in transmissions in recent weeks.Fans will also be screened for fevers and required to sit apart in the seats. They will be required to wear masks, banned from eating food and drinking beer, and discouraged from excessive shouting, singing and cheering during the game. Stadium officials will also register fans with smartphone QR codes so that they could be easily located when needed. The academy posted the guidance online Wednesday.___The University of North Carolina says men’s basketball coach Roy Williams and his wife, Wanda, donated more than $600,000 to fund scholarships for spring-sports seniors who are returning for another year after the coronavirus pandemic cut short the 2019-20 season.The school said Thursday that the Williamses initially wanted to keep the May gift anonymous.“He didn’t want those students to miss that experience and wanted to fund those scholarships for next year,” athletic director Bubba Cunningham said in a statement. “I still get chills when I think about his phone call and the impact it would have for dozens of our students.” South Korea’s baseball and soccer leagues returned to action in May without fans in the stands. Seats have been covered with cheering banners, dolls or pictures of fans as teams tried to mimic a festive atmosphere.___Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez says the school’s athletic department faces a potential $100 million loss of revenue in its $140 million budget due to challenges brought about by the pandemic.Alvarez wrote that in an open letter to “fellow Badgers” that appeared on the Wisconsin athletic department’s website.“The reality is that this financial crisis threatens our ability to sustain the success we’ve celebrated,” Alvarez wrote. “It threatens our pride in what we’ve built. It threatens our position in college athletics.” July 24, 2020 The Chinese Basketball Association released a statement saying that medical professionals, teachers and police and public security officers will be eligible in the first intake of fans since the league resumed last month following a lockdown for the coronavirus pandemic.The league says from July 31, fans older than 12 “who have missed the stadium will have the opportunity to enter the Qingdao Guoxin Sports Center Diamond Stadium to cheer for their favorite teams and players.”Fans will have to buy tickets through an online registration system on a “one ticket, one certificate” basis within 48 hours of testing negative for COVID-19.Physical distancing measures will be in place inside the stadium, and spectators will have to show identification, wear face masks and undergo body temperature testing before entry.___ The Latest: Chinese hoop league allows some spectators Exhibition meets have been organized remotely from Oslo and Zurich with athletes worldwide competing simultaneously in a few events.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports