U.S. Utility Execs Concede Need for More Innovation (or Better Messaging)

first_imgU.S. Utility Execs Concede Need for More Innovation (or Better Messaging) FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Glen Boshart for SNL:Top officials with the Edison Electric Institute wrapped up the group’s annual convention June 15 in Chicago by discussing what they must do to prosper in a rapidly changing industry environment.Tom Fanning, EEI’s newly elected chairman who also serves as chairman, president & CEO of Southern Co.: “We are innovative, we are in the customer interest, we are constantly looking for ways to create the future,” Fanning maintained, suggesting that the problem has been more one of messaging.Christopher Crane, president and CEO of Exelon Corp. and EEI vice chairman sees storage as something utilities need to embrace by working with the labs and universities “to help advance that along.”But the officials acknowledged that the traditional utility culture may be holding them back. Patricia Vincent-Collawn, chairman, president & CEO of PNM Resources Inc. and EEI vice chairman, stressed the need for utilities to hire people from the younger generation who are more adept at using new technologies in innovative ways.“You have to walk the talk, you have to bring in people from the outside, you have to protect them from the internal immune system of the utility” that wants to quickly “kill off anything that’s different,” Vincent-Collawn said.Picking up on that theme, Fanning noted that the culture and employees at his company can be represented by a pie chart, only a tiny slice of which is composed of “the revolutionaries, the creative disruptors.”“The people in the big pie slice want to murder the people in the little pie slice,” Fanning acknowledged. Thus, he said companies need to keep from living on their past successes and instead embrace innovation and new technology.Full article ($): EI officials debate how to keep up with rapidly changing timeslast_img read more

MSC’ Terminal Investment, Contship Agree on Sale of MCT Share

first_imgMediterranean Shipping Company’s Terminal Investment Ltd (TIL) has reached an agreement to take over control of Medcenter Container Terminal S.p.A. from Italian terminal operator Contship Italia.Contship Italia and TIL’s subsidiary Itaterminaux S.à.r.l. have executed a share purchase agreement related to the sale of 50% of CSM Italia Gate, which owns 100% of MCT.The parties did not disclose the terms of the transaction, for which the regulatory approvals are still pending. The companies launched negotiations on the sale in mid-March 2019.MCT is the concessionaire of the container terminal activities in the port of Gioia Tauro and TIL already owned 50% of CSM Italia Gate S.p.A. At closing, TIL will own 100% of CSM Italia Gate S.p.A. and will indirectly control all the shares of MCT.Contship Italia Group started and has been running the now largest Italian container terminal for over 24 years.last_img read more

Decatur County Council looking to increase tax rates again

first_imgEditorial note: Deanna Burkart took the Council seat occupied by Kenny Owens in 2018.  This has been reflected in the original story.  Greensburg, IN—In October of 2017, the Decatur County Council voted in a special use income tax that was to be used for the purpose of funding construction and operating costs of a proposed Decatur County Jail alongside a public safety tax intended to help fund courthouse security and more.It seems that they might once again be looking at another income tax increase to help fund County Departments. Decatur County Council President Ernie Gauck and Council member Danny Peters attended last week’s Greensburg City Council meeting requesting the City to appropriate new funds that will be generated from a tax rate increase.  They stated while they didn’t need any additional funding to build the jail, they did not have the funds in their operations and have “no idea” what staffing the new jail will cost. The County Council is looking at adding an increase between . 2 and .4 % increase.   According to the Greensburg Daily News article in 2017, the council noted that the tax could be reduced and that additional monies garnered by the tax could be put toward paying off the bond sooner. Auditor Janet Chadwell said the tax revenue would decrease the burden the county was facing related to the coverage of insurance costs.“We are drowning in health insurance costs,” Chadwell said.   Now, according to Gauck and Peters, adding an extra prosecutor to the Prosecutor’s office, an additional secretary to the Court, and expected jail staff for the new jail will require an additional $1 million that they are over budget for 2020. During the October 2017 meeting, the council formally adopted a .5 percent special use income tax alongside a .25 percent public safety income tax and a certified shares tax of .27 percent. The three taxes raise Decatur County’s income tax rate from 1.33 percent to 2.35 percent in an effort to cover jail costs – including construction, fees, and operational needs – as well as to fund several public safety initiatives.  That makes the income tax rate for Decatur County the 10th highest rate of the 92 counties in the state. With the suggested increase in tax rates, it will place us 6th or 4th highest rates in the state, respectively.The Decatur County Council will meet today at 9 am in the Decatur County Court House room 106.  The voting members in 2017 were Ernie Gauck, Larry Meyer, John Westhafer, Bill Metz, Danny Peters, and Kenneth Owens. Deanna Burkhardt took the seat occupied by Kenneth Owens in 2018.last_img read more

City duo could leave Manchester

first_img Manager Pellegrini admitted he must trim his squad before adding any further recruits, as City fight to comply with Financial Fair Play constraints. Porto capture Eliaquim Mangala could be City’s final summer signing unless the club can offload Sinclair and Guidetti, Pellegrini conceded. Manchester City have “too many players” and could allow John Guidetti and Scott Sinclair to leave before the end of the transfer window, according to Manuel Pellegrini. “It’s not finished, until the last day we can do different things,” said Pellegrini at the Premier League launch. “But if you ask me at this moment if I am happy with the squad, yes I am very happy with my squad. “We had a lot of problems also with Financial Fair Play with the restriction of the amount of players we can put in our squad. “So maybe I don’t think that we are going to sign another player because we cannot do it. “We have maybe too many players in the squad at this moment, players that need to play, that’s very important, especially for young players. “John Guidetti or maybe Scott Sinclair, they may need to play in a different team, so we’ll see from now until the end of the transfer window what happens with our squad. “But at this moment, yes we have too many players.” Pellegrini has added Bacary Sagna, Fernando, Willy Caballero, Frank Lampard and Bruno Zuculini to the champions’ squad, along with Mangala this summer. City expect to stay within the £49million spending limit imposed by UEFA for last term’s FFP breaches, while Pellegrini is also mindful of sticking to the reduced 21-man squad cap. Feyenoord are understood to be keen on completing a permanent deal for 22-year-old Sweden forward Guidetti, who enjoyed a loan stint with the Dutch club in 2011-12. Sinclair joined Manchester City from Swansea in 2012, but has made just three starts in his two years at the Etihad Stadium. The 25-year-old admitted after Sunday’s 3-0 Community Shield defeat to Arsenal that he would seek a move if he cannot secure regular first-team football. Refusing to prioritise the Champions League this term, Pellegrini said City cannot use FFP constraints as an excuse. “It’s easy to give excuses, but I don’t like to do that,” he said. “I’ll always field the strongest team and we want to win every time we play, and in every competition. “You don’t have five or six teams in any other major league where any one of them can win the title. “So the Premier League is still the most important league, and it’s important for us also.” City start the defence of their Premier League title by facing Newcastle at St James’ Park on Sunday. Pellegrini admitted he is yet to rule on whether to restore Joe Hart to his line-up after omitting the England goalkeeper from the Community Shield starting team. Argentinian keeper Caballero made his club debut in the Arsenal defeat at Wembley, after his summer move from Malaga. The City manager defended his rotation policy, claiming he has his players’ best interest in mind rather than sheer ruthlessness. “The best way to have high performance is to have two competitive players in each position,” said Pellegrini. “Nobody must be afraid of that: Joe Hart had a very good second part of the season last year. “He’s the best goalkeeper in England, but of course when he didn’t play well last year we played (Costel) Pantilimon. “It’s impossible for a player to play 60 games in a year, to play 18 games during December and January as we did last season. “It is sure that that player would be injured if that happened, so that’s why it’s so important to have two quality players in each position. “I always decide the best team for each game, this week the same, and on Monday we will review Newcastle and start that process again.” Press Associationlast_img read more