The USC men’s basketball team has gone 6-7 in its last 13 games after starting the season 13-2. With only three games to go in the regular season, the Trojans have a big test this week against Arizona and Arizona State. The Trojans, who are 11-2 at Galen Center, will be playing at home for the rest of the season. Likewise, veteran senior guard Jonah Mathews has been a leader for USC. The captain has had a strong season this year, scoring 360 points — the second most on the team — through an average of 31.8 minutes per game, more than any other Trojan. Mathews also has 22 more 3-pointers than any other Trojan at 60, and he will need to show up against Arizona after scoring just 6 points against the Wildcats in their last meeting. Freshman forward Isaiah Mobley is shooting 47.6 % this season while averaging 20.4 minutes a game. (James Wolfe | Daily Trojan) USC hopes to avenge its losses this week as it aims to secure a top-four seed in the Pac-12. By doing so, they will receive a first-round bye in the Pac-12 Tournament. Furthermore, the end goal for the Trojans is to make the NCAA Tournament, an appearance that has eluded them in three years, and their recent loss to an underwhelming Utah team certainly didn’t help their odds. “If we win those three games, then all will be well,” freshman guard Ethan Anderson told the L.A. Times. The Trojans will first face the Wildcats Thursday in a whiteout game for Trojan fans. The Wildcats will enter the showdown hot, having won six of their last eight games. Arizona nearly beat the No. 14 Oregon Ducks in a 73-72 overtime thriller Saturday. In their previous matchup earlier this month, the Wildcats beat the Trojans 85-80 in one of USC’s higher-scoring games after the Trojans rallied from a 20-point deficit. If the Trojans have any hope of beating the Wildcats this time around, they will have to do a better job of starting out strong. USC is now in sixth place in the Pac-12 standings after being as high as first earlier this season. With Arizona and Arizona State both ahead of the Trojans in the conference, USC will need to start making some noise down the stretch. One player the Trojans have to look out for is junior guard Remy Martin, who has led the Sun Devils in points this season with 517 and minutes with 902. In addition, he is third on the team in rebounds with 88. Arizona freshman forward Zeke Nnaji has been one of the team’s most productive players this season. Scoring an average of 16.3 points per game and shooting over 50%, Nnaji has been a player that opponents have had difficulty containing. USC will then take on the now-first-place Sun Devils in a game Saturday at 5 p.m. Though the Sun Devils have a 10-4 conference record, they are not nationally ranked. Still, the Sun Devils have shocked many Pac-12 teams this year. Riding a seven-game winning streak, ASU has shown no signs of slowing down. The Trojans almost gave the Sun Devils their ninth loss of the season earlier this month but lost 66-64 after giving up a 13-point lead. While the Trojans have not played well as of late, head coach Andy Enfield is keeping the focus on his player’s health. Freshman guard Ethan Anderson will look to rebound after scoring 9 points during a loss to Utah last week. (James Wolfe | Daily Trojan) “It’s tough to reckon with,” Mobley told the L.A. Times on the Trojans’ latest woes. “But we just have to keep fighting. The season isn’t over yet.” “We were just worried about our guys and their health,” Enfield told the Los Angeles Times. “Obviously we want to make the tournament, but we were just worried about our guys. We weren’t thinking about [the tournament].” On the other hand, USC has its own share of high-flying freshmen. Forwards Onyeka Okongwu and Isaiah Mobley have put pressure on their opponents on both ends of the floor. Okongwu has averaged 16.7 points this season while Mobley has averaged more than five rebounds per game. The freshman duo has been a strong point for USC through almost every game they’ve played. Currently on the bubble, USC has gone back and forth between the first four in and first four out for the NCAA Tournament according to many experts. College basketball analyst Andy Katz has USC as the No. 10 seed in the East division in his latest bracket prediction. If the Trojans can steal impressive wins against Arizona and Arizona State and follow that with a win over crosstown rival UCLA, they could solidify their spot in March Madness. The Trojans will begin the crucial weekend against the Wildcats in a 7 p.m. tilt Thursday at Galen Center.
Dance studio open house
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! DIAMOND BAR – Rep. Gary Miller helped secure $1.28 million in federal funds for street improvements in front of a planned housing/retail center he co-owned, according to federal documents and statements from Miller.Miller, R-Brea, partnered with his top campaign contributor, Lewis Operating Corp. of Upland, to finance development of the 70-acre Diamond Bar Village, according to documents obtained from Diamond Bar city officials. Campaign watchdog groups said the federal spending – and Miller’s investment in the development with a campaign contributor – are a conflict of interest.Kathay Feng, executive director of the campaign-finance reform advocacy group Common Cause of California, called the situation “very suspicious.”“With the cloud of ethics violations hanging very low over Congress right now, this is a very bad time for Gary Miller to be treading so close to the gray area of more violations,” Feng said. “This is a surprisingly close nexus between a congressional member, investments he holds, and him playing an integral role in getting funds that seem to benefit him and a major political contributor.”Miller defended his role, saying he helped get the $1.28 million for street improvements because Diamond Bar requested it. Any assertion or assumption that he is doing anything improper is “totally wrong,” he said.Miller received from the Center for Responsive Politics an almost perfect score on the clarity of his financial disclosures. He said he has nothing to hide.“I have always prided myself on being honest,” he said. “There is nothing inappropriate being done with anybody. Period.”Diamond Bar Village is planned for the southeast corner of Grand Avenue and Golden Springs Drive. It will feature a Target store, 70 single-family homes, 110 condominiums and two restaurants, according to city documents. Construction is expected to be completed late this year or in 2007. Lewis-Diamond Bar LLC, a company formed to buy the land, is the developer.Miller owns between $1 million and $5 million in Lewis-Diamond Bar LLC. The other partner is Lewis Operating Corp., according to 2004 federal financial disclosure and city documents.Lewis Operating Corp. and members of the Lewis family have donated $18,100 to Miller’s campaigns since 2004, which is more than any other contributor, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. The maximum donation is $2,000 per individual or business per election cycle. The Lewis family spread out their donations among family members, which is legal.Randall Lewis of the Lewis Operating Corp. said Miller would not be involved in a project if it there were a conflict of interest. He declined to comment further, saying he was unfamiliar with the Diamond Bar Village project.Miller, 57, is a member of the House of Representatives’ Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. He also is vice chairman of House Highways, Transit and Pipelines Subcommittee, which gives him a prime position to acquire federal money for area transportation projects.The $1.28 million for repairs on Grand Avenue was part of a six-year, $286.6 billion transportation bill passed in August. Miller served on a select committee to help get the bill through Congress, according to a press release on his Web site.He also helped secure $9.6 million for adding onramps and offramps to the Pomona (60) Freeway at Lemon Avenue in Diamond Bar, which is about 1.5 miles from Diamond Bar Village. In all, the bill allocated to cities in Miller’s district about $28 million for local transportation projects. Miller’s 42nd District includes Whittier, Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights, La Habra, Chino Hills, Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita and Yorba Linda. All received money in the bill.Miller said the work on Grand Avenue was to improve traffic flow, but Diamond Bar City Engineer Fred Alamohoda disagreed.The money will be used to repave and restripe the road and to update irrigation systems on Grand Avenue’s medians, he said.“It doesn’t really improve traffic flow, except for the restriping, which could help a little,” Alamohoda said.City Manager Linda Lowry said the city requested the money from Miller, but she could not remember if the city did so before or after Lewis-Diamond Bar, LLC, proposed building Diamond Bar Village.Miller said his dealings with the city were on the up and up.According to city documents, Lewis-Diamond Bar, LLC, paid the city $1.2 million in traffic-mitigation fees.The company also paid the city $2 million to allow housing at the site, which was previously zoned for office uses.“We paid more in city fees than is normal,” Miller said.Lowry said the federal money will not be used for improvements directly in front of Diamond Bar Village.Instead, it will be used on Grand Avenue as it leads to the center from the east, she said.Lowry declined to comment on whether she saw a conflict in dealing with Miller.“I’m a city manager,” she said. “I don’t have opinions.”Councilman Bob Zirbes said the city requested money to fix up Grand Avenue before Miller’s project.“Our road was trashed,” he said.”We really did treat them the same as everybody else,” he said. “We didn’t offer them anything, no sales tax revenue, no discount on the property. I really never tied the project to Grand Avenue funding, because there wasn’t a tie there.”Feng, of Common Cause, said almost as problematic as the allocation of federal money were Miller’s ties with Lewis Operating Corp.Along with his investment in Lewis-Diamond Bar LLC, Miller also owes between $1 million and $5 million to Lewis Investment Co., which is also in the Lewis family of companies, according to campaign-finance disclosures.“How does the public know how much money is changing hands between \ and his partners?” Feng asked.Miller, a Diamond Bar resident, grew up in Whittier and served on the Diamond Bar City Council and in the California Assembly before being elected to Congress in 1998. He has been friends with the Lewis family for “about 30 years,” he said. He also said he is wealthy and the idea that he could be swayed by a few thousand dollars in a development deal was “outrageous.”Miller is the owner of G. Miller Development Co. in Diamond Bar, Rancho Cucamonga, Rialto and Fontana, according to his personal finance statements.Miller, or his company, in 2004 bought properties valued between $1 million and $5 million, according to financial statements.He said he would not see any long-term benefit from street improvements because the retail center is being sold to other companies.Larry Noble, executive director of the Center for Responsive Politics, said it is not illegal for members of Congress to invest in property. However, helping allocate federal funds near investments is a conflict of interest and unethical, he said.Judy Nadler, senior fellow in government ethics at Santa Clara University, said Miller should be more careful with his investment choices.“His job is to be a congressman,” Nadler said. “That’s his first priority, ethically, to those who elected him. This raises questions about whether he is being impartial.” firstname.lastname@example.org(626) 962-8811, Ext. 2703
LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games View comments Read Next Profitable, yes; never again, please! Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC But the old reliables were there for Isaac, with import Henry Walker shooting 25 points, grabbing 11 rebounds and issuing seven assists in just over 36 minutes as Isaac found the luxury of giving the NBA veteran some rest with the lopsided outcome.JP Erram had 16 points and 14 rebounds, and Mike DiGregorio started out at the point to finish with 16 after making all of his five attempts from beyond trifectaville.KIA, meanwhile, all but bowed out after taking its eighth straight loss even after parading a new import in Geron Marquis Johnson, who scored 28 points but had nine of the Picanto’s 19 turnovers.Meanwhile, San Miguel Beer parades new import Terik Bridgeman against slumping Alaska in a Petron Saturday Special Game at 5 p.m. at AUF Sports Arena and Cultural Center in Angeles City. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games LATEST STORIES UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH The Elite established franchise marks in points scored in a quarter, 40 to open up against the Picanto, and 70 in a half, for a 39-point lead going into the third as Blackwater rebounded from a 117-96 loss to TNT KaTropa to rise to a level 4-4 card and stay in the playoff hunt.“We are very positive of our playoff chances,” Isaac said. “We will face whatever challenges are in front of us in our last three games. The team is ready.”Chris Ellis and Dave Marcelo, Blackwater’s new acquisitions from Barangay Ginebra in a trade completed on Thursday, did not see action yet.Isaac said that he asked Ellis and Marcelo to report for practice on Monday and the duo, who enjoyed respectable playing time while with defending champion Barangay Ginebra, will have to earn their minutes with the team.Ellis and Marcelo will have some form of motivation with the Elite’s next game slated against the Gin Kings on Friday.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief ANTIPOLO—Coach Leo Isaac was looking for a bounce-back from his Blackwater crew and got something he didn’t really expect.Two days after losing horribly, and a day after making a blockbuster trade, the Elite flaunted their best form yet and dealt KIA Picanto an ugly beating, 118-97, Friday night that enhanced their playoff chances in the PBA Governors’ Cup at Ynares Center here.ADVERTISEMENT “I expected a bounce-back, but not like this. I am mildly surprised,” Isaac said after the rout. “While reviewing the tape [of our last game], I noticed that we lacked the energy and I asked the players to play with energy tonight.“I got that from them from both ends of the floor,” he went on. “I told them after the game that if we play with the same kind of energy, who knows how far that will take us in our last three games.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutGlobalPort snapped TNT KaTropa’s two-game winning streak with a 119-112 victory later in the night, climbing to a level 3-3 card in the process.Stanley Pringle scored 30 points and had eight rebounds and import Murphey Holloway had 24 and 17 as the Batang Pier dealt the Texters their third loss in seven games. WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
DefinitionYour child has a mild brain injury (concussion). Thiscan affect how your child?s brain works for a while. Your child may have lost consciousness for a while. Your child also may have a bad headache.Below are some questions you may want to ask your doctor or nurse to help you take care of your childs concussion.Alternate NamesWhat to ask your doctor about concussion – child; Brain injury – mild – what to ask your doctor – childQuestionsWhat type of symptoms or problems will my child have?Will my child have problems thinking or remembering?How long will these problems last?Will all the symptoms and problems go away?Does someone need to stay with my child?How long does someone need to stay?Is it okay for my child to go to sleep?Does my child need to be awakened while sleeping?What type of activity can my child do?Does my child need to stay in bed or lie down?Can my child play around the house?When can my child begin to exercise?When can my child do contact sports such asfootball and soccer?When can my child go skiing or snowboarding?Does my child need to wear a helmet?How can I prevent head injuries in the future?Does my child have the right kind of car seat?In what sports should my child always wear a helmet?Are there sports my child should never play?What can I to make my home safer?When can my child go back to school?advertisementAre my child?s teachers the only school people I should tell about my child?s concussion?Can my child stay for a full day?Will my child need to rest during the day?Can my child take part inrecess and gym class?How will the concussion affect my childs schoolwork?What drugs can my child use for any pain or headache? Are ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), or other similar drugs okay?Is it okay for my child to eat? Will my child have an upsetstomach?Do I need a follow-up appointment?When should I call the doctor?Review Date:11/12/2012Reviewed By:Neil K. Kaneshiro, MD, MHA, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc., Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, David R. Eltz, Stephanie Slon, and Nissi Wang.
Friday, the FBI and local police in Columbus, Ohio, released photos and sketches of a man they claim is a suspect in up to 20 bank robberies in the central Ohio area. How does this relate to college sports, you ask? The man is wearing Ohio State gear in every photo, and he’s been dubbed the “Buckeye Bandit” by the authorities and the media. The robberies go back all the way to 2013.Here are some photos, via ABC 6. Busted Coverage brought the topic to our attention.FBI Seeks Help Finding ‘Buckeye Bandit’ Serial Bank Robber – http://t.co/d2kT4Y5XGg pic.twitter.com/C06HUOdJkc— WTTE FOX 28 (@fox28columbus) March 20, 2015FBI hunting for ‘Buckeye Bandit’ Ohio State fan who won’t stop robbing banks http://t.co/XucAtdRzbL pic.twitter.com/qAwedEVJIJ— Busted Coverage (@bustedcoverage) March 20, 2015In all seriousness, let’s hope the suspect is caught soon and brought to justice.