City duo could leave Manchester

first_img Manager Pellegrini admitted he must trim his squad before adding any further recruits, as City fight to comply with Financial Fair Play constraints. Porto capture Eliaquim Mangala could be City’s final summer signing unless the club can offload Sinclair and Guidetti, Pellegrini conceded. Manchester City have “too many players” and could allow John Guidetti and Scott Sinclair to leave before the end of the transfer window, according to Manuel Pellegrini. “It’s not finished, until the last day we can do different things,” said Pellegrini at the Premier League launch. “But if you ask me at this moment if I am happy with the squad, yes I am very happy with my squad. “We had a lot of problems also with Financial Fair Play with the restriction of the amount of players we can put in our squad. “So maybe I don’t think that we are going to sign another player because we cannot do it. “We have maybe too many players in the squad at this moment, players that need to play, that’s very important, especially for young players. “John Guidetti or maybe Scott Sinclair, they may need to play in a different team, so we’ll see from now until the end of the transfer window what happens with our squad. “But at this moment, yes we have too many players.” Pellegrini has added Bacary Sagna, Fernando, Willy Caballero, Frank Lampard and Bruno Zuculini to the champions’ squad, along with Mangala this summer. City expect to stay within the £49million spending limit imposed by UEFA for last term’s FFP breaches, while Pellegrini is also mindful of sticking to the reduced 21-man squad cap. Feyenoord are understood to be keen on completing a permanent deal for 22-year-old Sweden forward Guidetti, who enjoyed a loan stint with the Dutch club in 2011-12. Sinclair joined Manchester City from Swansea in 2012, but has made just three starts in his two years at the Etihad Stadium. The 25-year-old admitted after Sunday’s 3-0 Community Shield defeat to Arsenal that he would seek a move if he cannot secure regular first-team football. Refusing to prioritise the Champions League this term, Pellegrini said City cannot use FFP constraints as an excuse. “It’s easy to give excuses, but I don’t like to do that,” he said. “I’ll always field the strongest team and we want to win every time we play, and in every competition. “You don’t have five or six teams in any other major league where any one of them can win the title. “So the Premier League is still the most important league, and it’s important for us also.” City start the defence of their Premier League title by facing Newcastle at St James’ Park on Sunday. Pellegrini admitted he is yet to rule on whether to restore Joe Hart to his line-up after omitting the England goalkeeper from the Community Shield starting team. Argentinian keeper Caballero made his club debut in the Arsenal defeat at Wembley, after his summer move from Malaga. The City manager defended his rotation policy, claiming he has his players’ best interest in mind rather than sheer ruthlessness. “The best way to have high performance is to have two competitive players in each position,” said Pellegrini. “Nobody must be afraid of that: Joe Hart had a very good second part of the season last year. “He’s the best goalkeeper in England, but of course when he didn’t play well last year we played (Costel) Pantilimon. “It’s impossible for a player to play 60 games in a year, to play 18 games during December and January as we did last season. “It is sure that that player would be injured if that happened, so that’s why it’s so important to have two quality players in each position. “I always decide the best team for each game, this week the same, and on Monday we will review Newcastle and start that process again.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Men’s golf: Strong finishes from Jordan Hahn, Griffin Barela bring optimism entering final month of season

first_imgComing off their first team title since 2015 at the Pinetree Intercollegiate, the University of Wisconsin men’s golf team has been a middle-of-the-pack squad for most of the season. The Pinetree played to the likes of senior Jordan Hahn, who led the Badgers by tying for first place individually. Hahn got red hot on his back nine, carding four birdies and joining teammate Griffin Barela to become the second Badger in under a year to tie for first in a tournament.Three other Badgers, including Barela, finished in the top 10, solidifying a dominant five-stroke team victory. Most recently, the team traveled to Awendaw, South Carolina, to compete at the Hootie at Bulls Bay Golf Club. The Badgers’ starting five consisted of freshman Cameron Frazier, sophomores Barela and Sam Anderson, junior Pete Kuhl and Hahn, the team’s steady leader. Men’s Golf: Badgers look forward to spring season with high ambitionsAfter a 10th place finish in last year’s Big Ten championships lead by a top 10 individual performance from then Read…Head Coach Michael Burcin noted before the trip that Barela and Hahn continue to be the leaders of the team. In their previous tournament, Barela’s strong weekend finish brought him to tie at sixth on the leaderboard at the Mission-Inn Spring Spectacular down in Florida. His personal efforts brought Wisconsin up to a respectable ninth-place finish.At the Hootie, the Badgers finished at 7-over par, which ranked 13th out of the 15 teams that participated in the tournament. Barela carded two rounds under par, both times shooting a 69. His final round propelled him to finish tied for 13th place. Joining him in the top-25 was Hahn, who finished the tournament at 1-under par, giving him his seventh top-25 finish of the season. The Badgers will look to get back on top when they travel to West Lafayette, Indiana, for the Boilermaker Invitational in two weeks.last_img read more