It pays to understand the checks and balances when subleasing for AirBnB

first_imgDamien Keyes.THE  popularity of AirBnB continues to grow and the opportunity to make some extra cash is appealing to many, whether they are homeowners or renters. This leads to the question of can a tenant legally sublease part or all of their rented property on AirBnB? And, if so, under what circumstances can they do so? When big events, such as the Supercars, hit Townsville there is an influx of visitors here and many of them opt to spend some time either side of the event to hit the tourist spots, which is fantastic for our economy. Many locals are capitalising on the chance to earn perhaps five times the usual weekly rent, especially those living near the venue.But if they are renting the property, where do they stand legally? Can they sublease part or all of the property they are renting on AirBnB? When a tenant arranges to rent out part or all of a property they are renting this is called a sublease or subletting. The Act that governs rental accommodation in Queensland is the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008. If a tenant wants to sublet the property they are renting, they must seek written permission from the landlord, usually via the property manager. More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 2020The Act states that the lessor/agent must not unreasonably refuse permission to sublet or transfer the agreement from one person to another.What does this mean? Well, according to the Act it means the lessor must act reasonably in failing to agree to consent to sublet. They will be perceived as having acted unreasonably if they behave in a “capricious or retaliatory way” in failing to agree to the sublet. Like most things in life, it’s probably down to the tenant and the landlord having a good, mutually respectful relationship. If the tenant has proven trustworthy, reliable and to have taken good care of the property then the landlord may be more likely to grant this request. Landlords are likely to value good tenants who maintain the property and protect its value. In the REIQ’s view, a landlord is more likely to say “yes” to a sublease arrangement that is a longer-term arrangement and where the normal checks and balances are in place.With AirBnB, those checks and balances are not in place and this may, understandably, make some landlords nervous because they have no idea who is residing in their property.last_img read more

Chelsea’s John Mikel Obi admits Europa League apathy

first_imgChelsea’s John Mikel Obi says he is desperate to qualify for the Champions League this season because he struggles to get motivated for the Europa League.The Blues have reached the last eight of the Europa League after exiting the Champions League earlier this season.“What do they say [about the Europa League]? Thursday nights, Channel 5?” said 25-year-old Mikel.“Hopefully, next season we are not going to be in it and we are going to be prime time.”Chelsea are currently third in the Premier League as they bid to secure a top four spot and Champions League qualification for next season.But manager Rafael Benitez’s side can also win two trophies this term – they are leading Russian side Rubin Kazan 3-1 after the first leg of their Europa League quarter-final, and they will face Manchester City in the semi-final of the FA Cup at Wembley on Sunday.“Champions League football is what this club has always been involved in and that is what we as players want to achieve,” said Mikel.“We want to be in the top four, top three, whatever. We want to be in the Champions League next season. “No disrespect to the Europa League … but when you get that buzz, and you hear the Champions League song, it’s different.“And we have been used to it, to those nights, those special nights, and we want to get them back, we want to be involved again in the Champions League next season.“I don’t even know the Europa League song. I have been here seven years and I have never played football on Thursday nights.”The Nigerian international added: “It has been kind of frustrating to watch [Champions League matches] – and we have to then play on Thursday night.”last_img read more

Real’s Luka Modric charged with false testimony

first_img0Shares0000Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric attending court in Osijek, Croatia last year to testify in the multi-million-euro corruption trial against ex-Dinamo Zagreb chief Zdravko Mamic © AFP/File / STRINGERZAGREB, Croatia, Mar 2 – Croatian prosecutors charged Friday Real Madrid’s Luka Modric with giving false testimony at the multi-million-euro corruption trial of Dinamo Zagreb’s powerful former chief, an offence carrying up to five years in jail.The 32-year-old midfielder was charged with “committing the criminal offence of giving false testimony” last June during a trial against Zdravko Mamic and three others before a local tribunal, a prosecutors’ statement said. In line with Croatian law the prosecutors did not name Modric as the indictee but identified him as a “Croatian citizen born in 1985.”Local media identified him as Modric.The indictment has yet to be approved by a court and the Croatia captain is currently not threatened with an arrest.Mamic is accused — along with his brother Zoran Mamic and two others — of abuse of power and graft that cost the former Croatian champions more than 15 million euros ($18.4 million), and the state 1.5 million euros.Cash was allegedly embezzled through fictitious deals related to player transfers. Modric testified last June over the details of his 2008 transfer from Dinamo to Tottenham Hotspur.From there he joined Real Madrid in 2012.The prosecutors allege that Modric, when questioned at the tribunal, falsely said he had an annex to a contract with Dinamo over conditions for future transfers, giving him the right to a “50-50 share in transfer fees,” while still playing in Croatia.He also falsely testified he had signed such an annex every time he extended his contract, they said.When questioned during investigations in 2015, Modric said the annex was signed after he joined Tottenham, according to the prosecutors.The entire amount of the transfer fee was eventually acquired by Dinamo, the prosecutors said.Modric, also accused of tax fraud in Spain, has paid Spanish fiscal authorities close to one million euros, a judicial source in Spain said in January.Spanish prosecutors believe he evaded 870,728 euros on revenue from his image rights in 2013 and 2014 via a shell company set up in Luxembourg.Judicial authorities are still investing financial holdings belonging to the player in the Isle of Man, on which Modric refused to comment in court.– Biggest star –The indictment could also shake Croatia ahead of World Cup finals in Russia as Modric is the biggest star they have had since 1998, when they surprisingly reached the World Cup semi-finals, losing to eventual winners France.Croatia play in Group D along with Argentina, Iceland and Nigeria.The Croatian Football Federation (HNS) immediately voiced support to Modric and said in a statement it believed he would “prove his innocence as well as the indictment’s unfondness.”The federation said they were convinced the proceedings will have @no negative impact on the performances of Croatia squad” at World Cup.Last October, Modric was named, for the third time, to the FIFA FIFPro team selected by thousands of professional players. In 2015, he became the first Croatian voted on to the FIFPro XI.Modric, who grew up as a refugee in Zadar on the Dalmatian coast, was highly popular in Croatia where he has a reputation for modesty.But the testimony has tarnished Modric’s image as many Croatian fans fear it could undermine the charges against Mamic, who they believe has abused football for personal gain.Most Croatian football fans see Mamic as the real boss of the Croatian Football Federation and believe its formal chief Davor Suker is merely his puppet.“My conscience is clear,” the 103-capped Modric told reporters in July after being questioned within a probe on his alleged false testimony.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Johnson Johnson boosted opioid sales via cynical brainwashing court hears

first_imgOpioids crisis Opioids Since you’re here… Pharmaceuticals industry This article is more than 1 month old Chris McGreal in Norman, Oklahoma US medical group that pushed doctors to prescribe painkillers forced to close First published on Tue 28 May 2019 08.36 EDT … we have a small favour to ask. The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.More people are reading and supporting The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford. But we need your ongoing support to keep working as we do.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. Share on Facebook This article is more than 1 month old Tue 28 May 2019 18.37 EDT Johnson & Johnson boosted opioid sales via ‘cynical brainwashing’, court hears Johnson & Johnson, the drug giant best known for its baby products, has been accused of “a cynical, deceitful multimillion-dollar brainwashing campaign” to drive up sales of its powerful painkillers at the opening of the first trial of a pharmaceutical giant over the US opioid epidemic.Oklahoma’s attorney general, Mike Hunter, told the civil trial, which opened on Tuesday, that Johnson & Johnson played a leading role in “the worst manmade health crisis in the history of the country and the state”.Calling the trial a “day of reckoning” for the company, Hunter accused the company of “destroying lives and families”.“How did it happen?” Hunter asked. “Greed.”The state of Oklahoma is suing Johnson & Johnson for damages, claiming that it worked to push opioids to people who did not need the drugs in competition with Purdue Pharma, whose high strength OxyContin was a leading driver of the epidemic that has claimed 400,000 lives in the US over the past two decades.“J&J – a ‘family company’ – acted as the kingpin behind this public health emergency, profiting at every stage,” the lawsuit alleges. The company denies the allegations.The case sets the stage for about 2,000 other civil lawsuits by US states, cities and Native American tribes looking for a settlement with opioid manufacturers and distributors to match the $246bn paid by the tobacco companies 21 years ago over their misrepresentation of the dangers of smoking.The state accuses J&J of falsely and deceptively promoting opioids for treatment of chronic pain, leading to overprescription, addiction and overdoses that claimed 4,653 lives in Oklahoma in the decade to 2107 and wrecked many times more.Brad Beckworth, another lawyer for the state, told the judge hearing the case without a jury that the company created a web of influence, in part through paid doctors and front organisations, that underplayed the dangers of addiction and overstated the effectiveness of the drugs.“It is a manmade crisis. The evidence will show this is a drug company made crisis,” he said.Beckworth said that the company launched a fentanyl patch, Duragesic, in 1991 that for the first few years was used to treat only severe pain in people with cancer or who were dying. But after Purdue brought OxyContin onto the market in 1997, J&J saw an opportunity and relaunched Duragesic for more routine chronic pain in order to grab a much wider market.The following year, J&J created a highly potent poppy in Tasmania that was refined to supply the narcotic sold in American prescription opioids, including by Purdue.J&J’s pharma division, Janssen, also manufactured an opioid tablet, Nucynta, described by Hunter as a “deadly heroin pill”.Beckworth said that J&J followed Purdue’s blueprint by ignoring long established evidence that opioids are addictive and the old adage that “if you oversupply, people will die”.“J&J knew that opioid drugs are addictive and cause harm,” he said.Instead, Beckworth said, the company “created a need so they could sell to the need” with false claims that its opioids were safe and effective for long term treatment of chronic pain despite a lack of clinical studies and the history of narcotics creating addiction. He likened the result to the mass addiction to opium in 19th-century China.The state accuses J&J of deliberately ignoring warnings about addiction and death. Beckworth showed internal company emails by one of its sales reps, Melinda Dickson. Share on Twitter Read more Opioids crisis Oklahomacenter_img Topics Shares861861 Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Support The Guardian Share via Email Share on WhatsApp Share on Pinterest Share on Messenger Drug giant accused of deceptive marketing conspiracyCivil suit says J&J was ‘kingpin’ of public health emergency Share via Email The courtroom fills up before the start of the Oklahoma v Johnson & Johnson opioid trial in Norman.Photograph: POOL/Reuters news After a meeting with a doctor in Tulsa who expressed concerns about opioids creating addiction, the rep wrote a message about the “need to continue to bring up his comfort level for using higher doses of Duragesic”.In another email, Dickson said she told a doctor concerned about addiction and abuse that he should not worry because the result was “either fatal or they do not get affect (sic) they are looking for”.Beckworth said that confronted with evidence of the growing epidemic, J&J “saw it as an opportunity”.• SC Johnson, a separate, privately held company which uses the tagline “A Family Company”, has asked us to point out it has no connection with Johnson & Johnson. Reuse this content Share on Facebooklast_img read more