Apprentice rider Bebeto Harvey highlighted the United Racehorse Trainers’ Association (URTA) meet at Caymanas Park yesterday with three winners, including the 43-1 outsider PRINCESS SALLEMA for trainer Rowan Mathie in the eighth race, confined to apprentices over the straight five course. Harvey, a past student of Waterford High who started riding on September 26 after graduation from the Jockeys’ School, became only the second apprentice from the latest batch of 17 to ride a triple. Linton Steadman holds the distinction of doing so twice, the more recent on the November 14 Superstakes Day programme. Harvey booted home SIK THE BISMARK at 9-5 for trainer Victor Williams in the fourth race over 1300 metres, followed by GANJA MAN at 12-1 for dreadlocked trainer Terrence McWhinney in the sixth race over the straight for maiden three-year-olds and PRINCESS SALLEMA, who held on by three-quarter length from the fast-finishing 2-1 favourite TERRA MARIQUE. Harvey, who is apprenticed to big-race trainer Richard Azan, could not contain his glee. “Having ridden two winners on a programme prior to today, I was looking forward to my first triple and had a feeling it would come today,” he said. “However, after winning aboard the first two, I was looking to the highly fancied Our Creation to close it out in the seventh race, not knowing it would come aboard the outsider Princess Sallema. “For me, it’s a marvellous feeling and I will continue to work hard to maintain my fitness level and weight,” added the promising 20-year-old. MARVELLOUS FEELING
BIG MONEY UP FOR GRABS Last year, the winner, subsequent ‘Horse of the Year’ SEEKING MY DREAM, received a record $6.5 million, while lucrative purse money was paid to the first 10 past the post, an unprecedented move. In addition, a commemorative trophy valued at $500,000 donated by the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Commission will be won outright by the owner of the winner, while the winning trainer, jockey, breeder and groom will also receive trophies. The launch, though put on this early for a race scheduled to be run in December, attracted the top executives from related entities, including Cedric Stewart, CEO of Caymanas Track Limited; Paul Hoo, chairman of Supreme Ventures Limited and Gary Peart, chairman of the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Commission who conceived the idea for the Diamond Mile in the summer of last year. In a brief address, Peart said: “The BG&LC is pleased to report on the highly successful inaugural staging of the Diamond Mile , held just seven weeks ago, on Saturday, December 5, 2015, exceeded all expectations. The main objectives of the event were to stimulate growth of the racing sector, to increase revenue for the Government of Jamaica and to attract new target groups to racing, thereby also creating a positive cultural shift for the racing community and I am happy to report we achieved all of that and more. “The record for the highest handle ($66 million) for any one race was broken, so too the record for the most money spent on any one race, despite the fact that the inaugural Diamond Mile was held against competing high-profile events. “The turnout was excellent and all guests enjoyed themselves thoroughly,” said Peart, who disclosed that plans are in the pipeline of creating a five-year plan for the Diamond Mile including a week-long festival of racing. – O.C. Two major changes have been made for the second running of the $13.9 million Diamond Mile to be run on Saturday, December 10 this year. This was announced at the recent launch by CTL’s racing secretary Denzil Miller Jr, following consultations with racing stakeholders and the organisers of the event, the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Commission and corporate sponsors, including Supreme Ventures Limited. The organisers were responding to concerns among owners and trainers that last year’s inaugural running on December 5 saw the omission of a number of good horses who, despite their form, did not have the requisite lifetime earnings to force their way in the field (first 16). These horses include the Caymanas Invitational Mile winner PHINEAS, Caribbean Sprint Champion POKER STAR, as well as CAMPESINO and the vastly improved filly LONG RUNNING TRAIN. This has prompted two major conditional changes going forward. First of these is that the winners of the Jamaica Derby, the Superstakes, Caribbean Sprint Championship and Invitational Mile will get automatic entry into the race. The second change is that instead of lifetime earnings, the other horses will earn their place based on their year-to-date earnings from January 1, 2016 to December 3. Earnings gained from claiming races will not be considered. This year the race will offer a record $13.9 million (US$115,000) which represents an increase over last year’s purse due mainly to the movement of the Jamaican dollar against the US dollar.
…as Minister Scott directs guard services to implement measuresDespite the concerns raised by stakeholders regarding Junior Social Protection Minister Keith Scott’s plan to bar single mothers from working the night shift for security firms, he is forging ahead.In a missive on Monday, it was communicated that Minister Scott has “no intention”Minister within the Social Protection Ministry, Keith Scottof abandoning what the Ministry described as a “noble idea”. The Ministry made it clear that it planned to minimise and eventually eliminate night work for single mothers within the private security industry and as such, directives were issued to other Ministries.“In pursuit of this noble idea, the Hon Minister is with immediate effect requesting his colleagues and other senior Government functionaries to take all feasible steps to give efficacy to the initiative,” the missive said.“Accordingly, they are asked to ensure that with immediate effect the contracts for the provision of private security services provide for the exclusion of single mothers from night work,” it continued.But while the missive noted the Government’s plan to eventually eliminate night work for single mothers, it went on to state that whatever policies were developed and implemented, they “should not run counter to the individual desire of a single mother who may elect to work at nights”.The Ministry’s statement said that Minister Scott “wishes to assure all interested stakeholders that this proposition is merely intended to promote the interest and safety of the family unit”.The desire to bar single mothers from night work was first expressed by Scott during a seminar hosted by the Minister on August 24, 2017. Minister Scott had noted that his Ministry was concerned over the work arrangement for female security personnel in the field and the effect it has on single mothers.“Many days when I report for duty, I am pained and grieved to be greeted at 7:30 am by a female security officer who had worked the night before,” he had expressed. “I’m unsure whether or not the private security industry has carefully examined the impact which night work has had and continues to have on women…”According to the Department of Public Information, the Minister had called for the development and implementation of policies to completely prevent women from working the night shift.But in the days after this pronouncement, a number of persons, particularly on social media, had expressed concern over the Minister’s statement, and it had been labelled an infringement on gender equality. According to the Government in the statement, it is mindful of the criticisms it initially attracted during the workshop last month. However, it said Government was “confident” that feminist organisations would agree with eliminating night work.“Being mindful of the concerns raised by certain sections of the wider society, the Ministry remains confident that the feminist organisations would find favour with the elimination of Night Work by single mothers that would go a far way in repairing the moral fabric of our society which is seriously negatively affected,” the Minister’s statement said. It was only in March of 2017 that Social Protection Minister Amna Ally had urged developed Caricom countries to adhere to their commitments to make gender equality and women empowerment a priority.
Preview Story Links at Bowling Green 12/5/2015 – 3 p.m. Box Score (HTML) DES MOINES, Iowa – A pair of 23-point scorers and a big run to open the second half allowed the Drake University men’s basketball team to cruise past visiting UIC, 83-62, Saturday afternoon at the Knapp Center. Kale Abrahamson (West Des Moines, Iowa) and Reed Timmer (New Berlin, Wis.) each had 23 points for Drake (4-3) on combined 9-of-15 three-point shooting . The Bulldogs shot 52.5 percent from the field in the win and 52.6 from three-point range while holding UIC (1-3) to 39.7 percent shooting. UIC was led by Dikembe Dixson’s 13 points and six rebounds.”Today I’m most happy and proud of the way this ended a segment of our season,” said Drake head coach Ray Giacoletti. “We’ve played five games in a seven-day period with a lot of travel. To be able come out like this when we were fatigued, they were able to push through those things for us to find a way to get a win.”Graham Woodward (Edina, Minn.) helped engineer Drake’s offense with eight of the Bulldogs’ 18 assists.”I see 18 assists and if you’re sharing the basketball, you’re getting good looks,” Giacoletti said. “We have good shooters and they were able to step up and knock down shots.”C.J. Rivers (Cahokia, Ill.) added four assists and a career-high 13 rebounds from his guard position.”He’s a multidimensional play that does whatever it takes to win,” Giacoletti said of Rivers.Drake built up a six-point, 36-30, lead at halftime thanks to 10 points from Timmer. The Bulldogs quickly expanded that lead in the second half by opening the period on a 15-3 run to take a 51-33 lead six minutes into the half. Abrahamson and Timmer combined to score 11 of those points. The Bulldogs kept that lead at 10 or more points for all but 26 seconds of the remainder of the second half. An 8-0 run that started with three minutes left gave the Bulldogs a 24-point lead heading into the final minute of the game.Following the last week’s rigorous schedule that the Bulldogs navigated with a 3-2 record, the team will have a week off from competition before traveling to Bowling Green for a Dec. 5 contest against the Falcons.”We need it badly. We haven’t had a day off in a while,” Giacoletti said. “Mentally and physically we’ll have a day and half off and be ready to come back Monday and get ready for Bowling Green.”Print Friendly Version Box Score (PDF) Next Game: Full Schedule Roster Live Stats ESPN 1350 ESPN3 Listen Live Watch Live
Independent Councillor Frank McBrearty, has today (Wednesday) said that promoting positive mental health in the county must be one of the priorities for the next elected members of Donegal County Council. McBrearty told Donegal Daily, “Irrespective of the make-up of the next council, I am calling on all newly elected Councillors to pledge to do all they can to ensure that positive mental health becomes a key issue for the Council.Speaking of the work which he has done to encourage positive mental health in the County, Cllr McBrearty said that breaking the silence around mental health as well challenging the stigma and discrimination which surrounds the issue was something which he prioritised during his year as Mayor – an issue which he feels very passionate about. McBrearty added, “The office of Mayor enabled me to highlight issues pertaining to mental health and well-being.“I’ve always been very vocal and passionate about this issue as mental health is something which can, and does affect everyone at some point in their life.“When I was Mayor of Donegal I used the office to promote positive mental health, drawing attention particularly to the strong link between physical activity and the beneficial impact it can have to encourage positive mental well-being. It was while Mayor of the County that Cllr McBrearty officially launched the National Conference on Sport aiding Mental Health (SAM), a national conversation concerning mental health, which aimed toincrease awareness of issues relating to mental health and strived to educate people as to how best to support those who sufferfrom mentalillness. McBrearty continued, “There is no health without mental health, and speaking as someone who has personally experienced the negative effects of poor mental health.“I am very much aware of its impact and I understand just how vital reinforcing the message of positive mental health is to our community.“During my tenure as Mayor,I was delighted with the positive response that SAM received from the various organisations, groups and individuals involved in the campaign.McBrearty concluded, “Everyone has a role to play in promoting mental health awareness, and I feel that local authorities have a responsibility to promote this issue and make positive mental health a key theme as part of their activities.“Should I be successful in my bid to get re-elected to Donegal County Council following the elections this Friday, I vow to make the promotion of positive mental health a priority in Council discussions. MCBREARTY – “PROMOTION OF POSITIVE MENTAL HEALTH NEEDS TO BE A PRIORITY FOR NEXT COUNCIL” was last modified: May 21st, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Election 2014:Frank McBreartynewsPolitics
San Mateo >> The Shasta Creations volleyball team wrapped up a very successful season with a third place finish at the Bayview Classic over the weekend.The team went into tournament ranked 21.Saturday the team had a 3 team pool. They beat Endine, which was ranked 17th, from San Jose 21-25, 25-12 and 25-17 and beat Vertical Extreme, ranked 20th, from Visalia 25-21, 25-23 and 25-23.Going into Sunday, the Shasta Creations were ranked 17th. They beat the No. 9 ranked Titans from San Jose 25-13, …
Singapore Airlines is a big winner in the annual AirlineRatings.com Airline Excellence Awards taking out Best Long Haul Airlines Asia/Pacific, Best Economy Class and being rated 3rd in the rating agency’s Top Ten.AirlineRatings.com the world’s only safety and product rating website promotes excellence and innovation in the airline industry and the pinnacle of these efforts is its Airline Excellence Awards.Best Long Haul AirlineThere is little surprise that Singapore Airlines has won Best Long Haul Airline for Asia/Pacific as the airline has been at the forefront of long-haul flying for decades.It was the launch customer for the Boeing 747-400 which started non-stop flights from Singapore to London in the early 1990s and it also operated A340-500s on the ultra-long-range non-stop routes from Singapore to New York and Los Angeles.The airline also pioneered seat back videos for economy passengers and has been relentless in its innovations for all cabin classes.Recently the airline unveiled a new business class along with premium economy.This year Singapore Airlines started taking delivery of a large fleet of revolutionary Airbus A350s and it will soon receive the Boeing 787-10.Best EconomyThe airline has always been a leader in the economy class product going back to the 1960s, when as Malaysia-Singapore Airlines, it introduced free headsets and free drinks to economy passengers.And the innovation has never stopped with the airline continually upgrading its in-flight entertainment system which has always been an industry leader.Read Geoffrey Thomas’s review of Singapore Airlines service hereWorld RankingTo be named in the top ten, airlines must achieve a seven-star safety rating and demonstrate leadership in innovation for passenger comfort.AirlineRatings.com developed its unique seven-star rating system after two years of evaluation and consultation with the industry’s governing body the International Civil Aviation Organization.For the yearly ranking the editors of AirlineRatings.com, some of the most experienced and awarded, combine four major international industry and government audits, with another nine key criteria that include: fleet age, passenger review ratings, profitability, investment rating and key product offerings to arrive at a ranking.According to AirlineRatings.com Editor-in-Chief the editorial team is “looking for leadership, airlines that innovate to make a real difference to the passenger experience particularly in economy class.”This year Singapore Airlines is ranked 3rd.
Why You Love Online Quizzes 7 Types of Video that will Make a Massive Impac… HDFS-1052 – Federation, the ability to support much more storage per Hadoop cluster.HADOOP-6728 – A the new metrics frameworkMAPREDUCE-1220 – Optimizations for small jobsCloudera has remained an active contributor to Apache Hadoop. We haven’t heard back from Cloudera yet, but we don’t expect Yahoo’s announcement to change anything there.Also of interest is Baldeschwieler’s history of Yahoo’s involvement in Hadoop. Related Posts How to Write a Welcome Email to New Employees? Yesterday Yahoo announced that it will discontinue The Yahoo Distribution of Hadoop and refocus its development efforts on the main Apache Hadoop distribution. In a blog post, Yahoo VP of Software Engineering Eric Baldeschwieler writes that Yahoo will work more closely with Apache in the future. This leaves only two major distributions of Hadoop: Apache Hadoop and Cloudera’s enterprise-focused Hadoop.“Unfortunately, Apache is no longer the obvious place to go for Hadoop releases,” writes Baldeschwieler. “The Yahoo! team wants to return to a world where anyone can download and directly use releases of Hadoop from Apache.”This begins a long process of contributing Yahoo’s Hadoop code back into the main project. Baldeschwieler writes that Yahoo is in the process of contributing much of its work to the branch hadoop/common/branches/branch-0.20-security. Yahoo has proposed this be released as Apache Hadoop 20.100.Yahoo has created another branch called Hadoop-future, a place for its proposed new features, including: klint finley Tags:#Big Data#hack Growing Phone Scams: 5 Tips To Avoid
The government’s decision to invite a member of the Prajapita Brahmakumari to conduct a talk inside the legislative building has come under criticism. Brahma Kumari Shivani, member of the Brahmakumaris World Spiritual University, is scheduled to deliver a ‘motivational speech’ at the Central Hall on Tuesday. The Bramha Kumaris claim to be a worldwide spiritual movement dedicated to personal transformation.Finance Minister Sudhir Mungantiwar said it is a “motivational speech” and should be seen in a positive manner.However, Nationalist Congress Party leader and former deputy chief minister Chhagan Bhujbal questioned it’s purpose. “If it is a religious function, then you will have to allow other religions to hold similar functions,” he said.Calling the legislature building a ‘temple of democracy,’ All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen MLA Imtiaz Jaleel said it should not be used for religious speeches.“The House should be used for formulating laws and rules. Should a Muslim moulavi be called to preach? asked Mr. Jaleel. While announcing his decision to not attend the program, Samajwadi Party MLA Abu Azmi said the move is “unconstitutional and unacceptable”. In 2016, two Jain monks addressed lawmakers inside the Assembly building in Harayana and Madhya Pradesh. The latter was then ruled by the BJP.